Senior Manager, Public Policy & Regulatory, Careem Pay
Careem is the leading technology platform in the Middle East, North Africa, Turkey and Pakistan.
A pioneer of the region’s ride-hailing economy, Careem is expanding services across its platform to include payments, delivery and mass transportation. Careem’s mission is to simplify and improve the lives of people and build a lasting institution that inspires.
Established in July 2012, Careem operates in more than 100 cities across 14 countries; has created more than 1 million income earning opportunities for Captains; and [has over 30 million users].
About the role...
Our ambition is to be globally recognized as the most valued and trusted digital platform for our region – partnering with governments to build the digital backbone for our markets and citizens.
We are looking to recruit a Senior Manager- Public Policy & Regulatory to work on the regulatory and public policy agenda of the company’s recently formed payments and fintech venture - Careem Pay.
As Careem Pay expands its digital wallet and payments offerings across major markets, this is likely to be one of the most exciting roles in public policy and fintech across the region.
The role is Dubai based and reports into the Senior Director, Government Relations & Public Policy - Careem Pay.
- Assessing regulatory frameworks and managing concurrent Central Bank sandbox and license application processes across jurisdictions;
- Creating compelling digital financial services public policy positions - eg on EMI frameworks, digital KYC and identity;
- supporting the engagement of national and international stakeholders to further Careem Pay’s public policy agenda e.g. Arab Monetary Fund, World Bank/CGAP;
- Working closely with cross-functional and internal terms (eg product, legal) to provide regulatory advice on new product launch and developments;
- Assess opportunities for establishing digital lending products and services to Careem’s Captain and customer base including use of platform generated data for credit scoring purposes;
- Assess the opportunity for the direct or indirect provision of other financial services to Careem’s Captain and customer base.
You will be extremely rigorous, exceptionally organized, committed to a very high quality of work product, and have a strong sense of commitment to Careem’s mission.
You will have 4-6 years of continuous payment and fintech industry experience (regional or international) within a payments or technology company, regulatory agency, law firm, or management consulting function/environment and outstanding attention to detail in terms of reading, writing and content creation; strong diplomatic and advocacy skills with a firm alignment with our core values: being bold, focused, agile and collaborative.
You will thrive on uncertainty, the challenge of building new models in the region, be unafraid to work long hours. You must have outstanding ability with respect to building and communicating positions (with economic and quantitative justifications) in an extremely concise and compelling way.
Additional qualifications and experience include:
- Spoken and written fluency in English and Arabic
- Digital financial services, payment industry regulatory and/or advocacy experience
- Experience of having managed Central Bank licensing processes
What do we offer you?
Working in an international environment with colleagues from 70+ nationalities, an ownership culture, flexible working hours, unlimited (paid!) holidays and the latest technologies.
Careem is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of ownership including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for everyone.