Careem is the leading technology platform for the greater Middle East. A pioneer of the region’s ride-hailing economy, Careem is expanding services across its platform to include payments, delivery and mass transportation. Careem’s mission is to simplify and improve the lives of people and build a lasting institution that inspires. Established in July 2012, Careem operates in more than 120 cities across 15 countries and has created more than one million job opportunities in the region.
About the role
We are looking for Senior Software Engineers to join our team of talented individuals that share a common interest in distributed backend systems, their scalability and continued development.
You will be responsible for the software architecture, design and development of the software systems that make-up the Careem engine. These large scale, distributed systems handle everything from the 400,000 login requests per day.
The Team's tech stack is Java 8, Java Script, Spring Boot, Kotlin, RxJava, Micro-Service Architecture, SQL and no-SQL DBs, iOS and Android applications, web front-end, Angular JS and AWS infrastructure. You will be scaling the current architecture to support Careem growth across all verticals (Ride hailing, bus, now, bike and Pay).
As a Full Stack Software Engineer you will:
- Design software architecture of our distributed backend system to meet the challenging functional, scalability and reliability requirements for our fast-growing business.
- Work in a team with highly talented software engineers
- Write clean, reusable, testable, and maintainable code (TDD (code quality and coverage is very high)
- Advise on best practices for web and backend service design
- Continually improve CI/CD tools, processes and procedures
- Mentoring of junior team members
- Integrate components into a fully functional & validated system
- Develop and implement software verification and quality assurance procedures
- Document designs and review code
- Serve as (or grow into) a subject matter expert
- Continuously strive for higher quality and productivity
The ideal candidate will have a passionate commitment to improving the lives of people, an insane focus on excellence and
customer service, and a strong alignment with our core values: being bold, focused, agile and collaborative.
- Experience in multi-tiered distributed systems, web services, APIs, and relational NoSQL databases
- Extensive backend programming experience in one or more of the following: Java, Java Script & Frameworks, Python
- Ability to: effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions; deal with loosely defined problems and fast changing requirements think abstractly
- A solid foundation in computer science, with strong competencies in data structures, algorithms and software design
- 4+ years of hands-on Full Stack Web development
- 2+ years CI/CD Engineering experience.
- Able to take individual ownership of a project from start to finish
- Interest in going full stack. We're looking for T-shaped professionals that can help us out with reducing hand-offs and minimizing lead time to make an impact.
- Nice to have: Expos
What do we offer you?
Working in an international environment with colleagues from 70+ nationalities, ownership culture, flexible working hours,
unlimited (paid!) holidays and the latest technologies.