Careem is the leading technology platform for the greater Middle East. A pioneer of the region’s ride-hailing economy, Careem is expanding services across its platform to include payments, delivery and mass transportation. Careem’s mission is to simplify and improve the lives of people and build a lasting institution that inspires. Established in July 2012, Careem operates in more than 120 cities across 15 countries and has created more than one million job opportunities in the region 🌎.
- Manage the tax compliance profile of Careem in North Africa (Morocco, Tunisia, Algeria, ensuring all local tax filing requirements are understood and documented and filings are made on time.
- Identify and implement VAT optimization opportunities.
- Maintain and monitor local tax relationships with professional advisers.
- Support the accounting team with any tax related accounting/ financial statement disclosures as applicable.
- Support on project management of tax aspects for new business lines and initiatives by identifying, documenting and executing the tax requirements.
- Perform tax technical research including analysis and interpretation of relevant tax laws, regulations, cases and agency guidance, and update relevant stakeholders as appropriate.
- Provide active support to positively and successfully conclude tax audits and controversies.
- Provide guidance to local finance, legal, government relations and operations teams.
- Assist with the development and maintenance of the group transfer pricing policy and supporting documentation.
- Support with wider group tax, compliance and risk initiatives
Key Performance Indicators
- Accurate and timely updates in respect of tax risks and compliance.
- On time submission of all tax related returns.
Qualifications/ Skills Required
- Degree in Finance, Accounting or similar.
- CA/ CPA/ Master's in Taxation a plus.
- At least 3+ years of international tax in a fast-paced industry and/ or Big 4.
- Demonstrated thorough user and working knowledge of tax systems.
- Excellent research skills, coupled with great written and verbal communication skills are a must, including the ability to communicate with non-tax people on complex tax issues.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment with aggressive timelines.
- Creative thinking to resolve novel tax problems while supporting the business.
- English and French language in required.
- Fluent in Arabic (reading, writing) Speaking is an advantage