Careem is the leading technology platform for the greater Middle East. A pioneer of the region’s ride-hailing economy, Careem is expanding services across its platform to include payments, delivery and mass transportation. Careem’s mission is to simplify and improve the lives of people and build a lasting institution that inspires. Established in July 2012, Careem operates in more than 120 cities across 15 countries and has created more than one million job opportunities in the region.
What will be keeping you busy?
We're looking for a Director of Product Design to lead our talented product design team. In this role, you will set and drive the product design vision for all our products across Careem and will be key to the realisation of our Superapp future. You will work as a trusted partner to Product, Engineering Commercial and Brand leaders.
You'll manage and mentor a growing team of designers. You will be a key advocate of Design and its transformational benefits and a key voice in helping us become more experience led. You will have an infectious personality with a passion for design and innovation. You will champion joyous experiences and understand how to design platform experiences for network effects. You will be responsible for translating brand personality into digital experiences and know that working at speed does not mean compromising quality of designs or experience.
You will be comfortable with extremely tight time frames and context switching given the breadth of your role. You will thrive in a high pressure environment and have the demonstrable ability to manage ambiguity. You'll also enjoy getting your hands dirty driving projects, finding ways to foster and promote innovation and inspire your team to realise their full potential.
You will be inspired by our values and purpose and will relish the opportunity to simplify the lives of people in this region through lovable and engaging product design.
Also expect to:
- Develop a Design Vision in collaboration with your peers that addresses Careem’s Strategic Vision, building Products that are joyous, consistent and can scale.
- Be the thought partner for Product, Engineering and Commercial Leadership advocating for Design and being a true delivery partner.
- Lead, hire and mentor the product design team across all Careem Products
- Own the end-to-end design and research process ensuring high levels of collaboration with the Product and Software Engineering Teams.
- Develop the Product Design team driving high-velocity, high-quality product designs even at MVP stage.
- Coach and mentor the team in new, modern design standards and patterns
- Coach and mentor the team to develop our next generation of Design leaders
- Champion great experience in the face of technical constraints upholding high standards
- Leverage metrics, user testing, and design-thinking to ensure we build the right experiences for our customers.
- 12-15 years of designing e-commerce products for mobile & web. Experience with B2B products will be a strong plus as will be platform and ecosystem design. Experience of financial services products will be beneficial
- A degree in a Design Discipline covering the basics of HCI, UI, UX, and Interaction Design
- International exposure a must
- Well documented history of shipping successful products at scale for web and mobile platforms.
- A proven track record of building experiences that users love, shown through your ability to conceptualize, implement and deliver within constraints
- A track record of leading and inspiring design teams and being a true design advocate
- A skilled and masterful storyteller with proven negotiation and influencing skills
- Well versed in lean product development and agile engineering methodologies such as Scrum and/or Kanban
- The ability to draft a product design vision and communicate it with passion across the organisation
- The ability to connect with senior stakeholders and build strong, collaborative relationships
- Ability to deal with complexity and build lovable products
- A career in UX, UI and Design Thinking
- A strong portfolio showcasing examples of good design, problem solving and leadership skills. Case studies and a deep dive into the process are encouraged
We’re looking for someone who can take ownership, who is of service and who shoots to the moon and beyond. Is this you? We’re looking forward to seeing your application! 🚀
What do we offer you? Working in an international environment with colleagues from 70+ nationalities, a flat hierarchy, flexible working hours, unlimited (paid!) holidays and, the latest technologies and full ownership!
#YallaLetsGo #Careem #BeCareem #ToTheMoon