Careem is the leading technology platform for the greater Middle East. A pioneer of the region’s ride-hailing economy, Careem is expanding services across its platform to include payments, delivery and mass transportation. Careem’s mission is to simplify and improve the lives of people and build a lasting institution that inspires. Established in July 2012, Careem operates in more than 120 cities across 15 countries and has created more than one million job opportunities in the region.
About the role
Our Android developers have a passion to push mobile technologies to the limits. Our product sits on top of many modern technologies, including Java, Kafka and Redis. You and your team will touch many technologies including AWS, Redis, Kafka, and Postgres. As an Android Engineer you will:
- Design and build advanced, scalable applications for the Android platform
- Work with the Product and Design teams to understand end-user requirements and use cases and translate them pragmatic and effective technical solutions
- Integrate with our backend services (JSON, REST, etc.) to make sure we are delivering a great mobile user experience that is super-fast for end users
- Own end-to-end product modules/features from requirement to going live
- Design and review code, troubleshoot and act as a consultant to team members on technical matters
- Gather requirements by interacting directly with the end users and advocate delightful user experiences
- Continuously discover, evaluate, and implement new technologies to maximize development efficiency
- Unit-test code for robustness, including edge cases, usability, and general reliability
- Use core animation to create engaging motion effects and intuitive interfaces
- 5+ years experience with full life cycle Android application development and publishing Android apps in the play store
- Knowledge about Java, collections, algorithms and well-known application frameworks
- Understanding of interactive application development paradigm under Android, memory management, file I/O, network programming, concurrency and multi-threading
- Good understanding of design patterns, the latest framework and technical, including RxAndroid, Lambda expressions and dependency injection
- Experience in working with third-party libraries and APIs
- Good experience on testing frameworks, including Robolectric and Espresso
What do we offer you?
Working in an international environment with colleagues from 70+ nationalities, an ownership culture, flexible working hours, unlimited (paid!) holidays and the latest technologies
Careem gives equal opportunities. All aspects of ownership including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for everyone.