At Careem, our mission is to simplify the lives of people, initially through solutions that make transportation reliable, and over time, through disruptions in payments and logistics. In the process, we want to build an organization that inspires and become a world-class institution.
Careem (Berlin & Dubai's $3.1 Billion Dollar Start-up) recently acquired by Uber, focusing on Ride Hailing & Logistics for the Middle East and Northern Africa Markets. We now operate in 130 cities across 15 countries and host over 30 million users.
We are building out a world class team of engineers, and we'd love to see if you're a good fit for our open, inclusive and friendly culture.
ABOUT THE ROLE:
We are looking for an experienced infrastructure engineer to come to join our highly skilled team of infrastructure operations. We're looking for someone who can be responsible for the design, building, delivery and supporting components of the storage platform.
The ideal candidate has a passion for building scalable infrastructure platform and loves solving performance problems at scale. You’ll be expected to have both deep technical skills in database architecture, scripting, operating systems esp. Linux as well as communication skills.
This is your opportunity to work with the latest technologies, working with huge amounts of data – multiple TB’s and being part of the central operation team in a data driven company.
- Strong proficiency in MySQL database management
- Decent experience with recent versions of MySQL.
- Understanding of MySQL's underlying storage engines, such as InnoDB and MyISAM
- Experience with replication configuration in MySQL.
- Knowledge of de-facto standards and best practices in MySQL.
- Proficient in writing and optimizing SQL statements
- Ability to plan resource requirements from high level specifications
- Familiarity with other SQL/NoSQL databases such as PostgreSQL, MongoDB, etc.
- Knowledge of limitations in MySQL and their workarounds in contrast to other popular relational databases.
- AWS technology stack knowledge would be a plus such as RDS (MySQL, MarinaDB, Aurora), DynamoDB.
- Proficiency in any scripting language (AWK, Python, Shell).
- Provision MySQL instances, both in clustered and non-clustered configurations
- Ensure performance, security, and availability of databases
- Prepare documentations and specifications
- Handle common database procedures, such as upgrade, backup, recovery, migration, etc.
- Profile server resource usage, optimize and tweak as necessary
- Collaborate with other team members and stakeholders
- Working experience on Unix or Unix like OS i.e. Linux.
- Competitive salary
- Unlimited annual leave
- Entrepreneurial working environment
- Flexible working arrangements
- Mentorship and career growth