Careem is the leading technology platform for the greater Middle East. A pioneer of the region’s ride-hailing economy, Careem is expanding services across its platform to include payments, delivery and mass transportation. Careem’s mission is to simplify and improve the lives of people and build a lasting institution that inspires. Established in July 2012, Careem operates in more than 130 cities across 16 countries and has created more than one million job opportunities in the region 🌎.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As Senior Engineering Manager, you will lead the Super App front-end team, comprised of Android and iOS developers, which have an end-to-end responsibility of building and delivering the front-end of the Careem Super App – a key pillar in the Careem strategy to become the region’s everyday Super App!
Our Android and iOS developers have a passion to push mobile technologies to the limits. As a Senior Engineering Manager, you manage a team of exceptionally talented engineers to design, build and deliver the Careem Super App!
In addition to adhering to exceptionally high engineering standards, the team that you manage is expected to build the application in a largely scalable manner, high quality, good application performance and applying best-in-class usability standards and practices.
You are responsible for mentoring the members of your team and supporting them in their professional development.
You will interface with the leaders of several teams including Careem Ride Hailing, Careem Bus, Careem Pay and across all of Careem.
A successful candidate must be capable of being a hands-on manager with an established track record of delivering highly scalable highly resilient services and mobile architectures, and the motivation and ability to achieve results in a very dynamic and fast paced environment.
Additionally, they must be capable of scaling their teams, managing very senior engineers and growing junior engineers.
Key responsibilities include:
• Manage multiple teams of high calibre Software Engineers working to build a world class, scalable distributed systems and mobile applications.
• Recruit, hire, mentor, and coach Software Development Managers and Software Engineers at different levels of experience.
• Manage and execute against project plans and delivery commitments within an Agile/Scrum environment.
• Contribute to and lead design, architecture, process and development discussions.
• Own all engineering metrics and support for your teams' software.
• Drive improvements in software engineering practices across engineering teams.
• Work with other senior leaders on the team to define the technical strategy & architecture of the Captain in-ride platform and mobile applications.
• Assist your teams in developing roadmaps for system and product growth, then identify, plan, and execute projects to support that growth.
• Provide thought leadership and technical vision and direction to your org.
• Solve large-scale engineering challenges quickly and effectively.
• Encourage and support others to take on responsibility, authority, and accountability.
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or a related degree.
• 10 years of experience in Software Development.
• 6 years minimum as a Development Manager, with 2 years minimum experience managing managers.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to executives and non-technical leaders.
• Proven track record of hiring and managing high performing engineering teams.
• Relevant experience in building highly scalable highly resilient systems
• Experience managing engineering teams in a fast-paced start-up environment
• Demonstrated ability to run and improve technical development processes.
• Willingness to roll up your sleeves and do what's necessary to drive your projects to completion.
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
• Experience in AWS Solutions Architecture
• Field experience in AI, Data Science and Machine Learning
• Strong focus on customers and operational excellence.
Flexible working hours
Mentorship and career growth
Diversity: we have 70+ nationalities on board!
…Oh, and also, we’re looking for someone who can take ownership and who shoots to the moon and beyond. Is this you? We’re looking forward to seeing your application! 🚀
#YallaLetsGo #Careem #BeCareem #ToTheMoon