Careem is the leading technology platform for the greater Middle East. A pioneer of the region’s ride- hailing economy, Careem is expanding services across its platform to include payments, delivery and mass transportation. Careem’s mission is to simplify and improve the lives of people and build a lasting institution that inspires. Established in July 2012, Careem operates in more than 130 cities across 15 countries and has created more than one million job opportunities in the region and host over 30 million users.
About the role
As an Engineering Manager, you will lead a high performing team to build, scale, monitor and optimize the Captain platform which has created 1+ million jobs in the region to date and supports all of Careem’s services. You will interface with the leaders of several teams including both within and ride-hailing organization and across Careem. A successful candidate must be capable of being a hands-on manager with an established track record of delivering highly scalable highly resilient services and scalable mobile architecture and the motivation and ability to achieve results in a very dynamic and fast paced environment. Additionally, they must be capable of scaling their teams and growing junior engineers. Key responsibilities include:
- Build a team of amazing engineers which can deliver results quickly and improve existing products and services
- Allocate available resources to meet operating objectives. Interacts with direct reports, customers and peers to share information and improve cross-departmental processes.
- Assist your team in developing road-maps for system and product growth, then identify, plan, and execute projects to support that growth
- Provide thought leadership and technical vision to their org. Coach developers, helping them improve their skills and grow their careers
- Encourages and supports others to take on responsibility, authority, and accountability.
- Proven track record of hiring and managing high performing engineering teams
- Breadth and depth of experience building and managing software systems and teams
- Strong technical credentials
- 7 years of experience in Software Development and 2-3 years as a Development Manager
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to executives and non-technical leaders
- Willingness to roll up your sleeves and do what's necessary to drive your projects to completion
- Demonstrated ability to run and improve technical development processes
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related degree
What do we offer you?
Working in an international environment with colleagues from 70+ nationalities, an ownership culture, flexible working hours, unlimited (paid!) holidays and the latest technologies
Careem gives equal opportunities. All aspects of ownership including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for everyone.