Careem is the leading technology platform for the greater Middle East. A pioneer of the region’s ride-hailing economy, Careem is expanding its services across its network to include payments, delivery and mass transportation. Established in July 2012, Careem operates in more than 130 cities across 15 countries and has created more than one million job opportunities in the region and hosts over 30 million users. Careem’s engineering team is growing rapidly, and we are looking for engineering managers to help us in our mission of simplifying and improving the lives of people and building a lasting institution that inspires.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As Senior Engineering Manager, you will lead several high performing teams to build, scale, monitor and optimize the Captain in-ride platform, a set of mobile applications and services which have helped create 1+ million jobs in the region to date and support all of Careem’s services. You will interface with the leaders of several teams including both within the ride-hailing organization and across all of Careem. The mission of the Captain in-ride platform team is to create amazing experiences through scalable and robust software which enable Careem Captains to fulfil Customer demand.
A successful candidate must be capable of being a hands-on manager with an established track record of delivering highly scalable highly resilient services and mobile architectures, and the motivation and ability to achieve results in a very dynamic and fast paced environment. Additionally, they must be capable of scaling their teams and growing junior engineers.
Key responsibilities include:
- Manage multiple teams of high caliber Software Engineers working to build a world class, scalable distributed systems and mobile applications.
- Recruit, hire, mentor, and coach Software Development Managers and Software Engineers at different levels of experience.
- Manage and execute against project plans and delivery commitments within an Agile/Scrum environment.
- Contribute to and lead design, architecture, process and development discussions.
- Own all engineering metrics and support for your teams' software.
- Drive improvements in software engineering practices across engineering teams.
- Work with other senior leaders on the team to define the technical strategy & architecture of the Captain in-ride platform and mobile applications.
- Assist your teams in developing roadmaps for system and product growth, then identify, plan, and execute projects to support that growth.
- Provide thought leadership and technical vision and direction to your org.
- Solve large-scale engineering challenges quickly and effectively.
- Encourage and support others to take on responsibility, authority, and accountability.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or a related degree.
- 10 years of experience in Software Development.
- 6 years minimum as a Development Manager, with 2 years minimum experience managing managers.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to executives and non-technical leaders.
- Proven track record of hiring and managing high performing engineering teams.
- Master's Degree in Computer Science or a related field.
- Demonstrated ability to run and improve technical development processes.
- Willingness to roll up your sleeves and do what's necessary to drive your projects to completion.
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Programming experience in at least one modern programming language such as C, C++, or Java.
- Strong focus on customers and operational excellence.