Careem is the leading technology platform for the greater Middle East. A pioneer of the region’s ride-hailing economy, Careem is expanding services across its platform to include payments, delivery and mass transportation. Careem’s mission is to simplify and improve the lives of people and build a lasting institution that inspires. Established in July 2012, Careem operates in more than 120 cities across 15 countries and has created more than one million job opportunities in the region.
About the role
You will be responsible for the software architecture, design and development of the software systems that make-up the Careem engine. These large scale, distributed systems handle everything from user requests to payment processing. Our tech stack is Java 8 and Spring Boot, Micro-Service Architecture, SQL and no-SQL DBs, iOS and Android applications, web front-end and AWS infrastructure. Key responsibilities include:
- Software architecture and design of our distributed backend system to meet the challenging functional, scalability and reliability requirements for our fast growing business.
- Work in a team with highly talented software engineers
- Write clean, reusable, testable, and maintainable code
- Mentoring of junior team members
- Integrate components into a fully functional & validated system
- Develop and implement software verification and quality assurance procedures
- Document designs and review code
- Serve as (or grow into) a subject matter expert
- Continuously strive for higher quality and productivity
- Experience in multi-tiered distributed systems, web services, APIs, and relational & NoSQL databases
- Extensive backend programming experience in one or more of the following: Java, C/C++, Python
- Ability to: effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions; deal with loosely defined problems and fast changing requirements & think abstractly.
- A solid foundation in computer science, with strong competencies in data structures, algorithms and software design.
- Able to take individual ownership of a project from start to finish.
What do we offer you?
Working in an international environment with colleagues from 70+ nationalities, an ownership culture, flexible working hours, unlimited (paid!) holidays and the latest technologies
Careem gives equal opportunities. All aspects of ownership including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for everyone.