Careem is the leading technology platform for the greater Middle East. A pioneer of the region’s ride- hailing economy, Careem is expanding services across its platform to include payments, delivery and mass transportation. Careem’s mission is to simplify and improve the lives of people and build a lasting institution that inspires. Established in July 2012, Careem operates in more than 130 cities across 15 countries and has created more than one million job opportunities in the region and host over 30 million users.
About the role
The Accounting Manager would be responsible for all areas relating to Financial Reporting. Key responsibilities:
- Oversees the general accounting function, which includes inter-company accounting, cash management/reconciliation, financial reporting, balance sheet management and expenses claim management.
- Accountable for ensuring that policies and procedures (internal controls) are in place to provide reasonable assurance that the company assets are protected.
- Provides technical accounting guidance and support. At times, this may include involvement in due diligence and other activities surrounding real estate agreements, acquisitions/disposals.
- Responsible for proper timing and application of revenue recognition rules. This currently entails a real-time review and determination of the proper timing of revenue recognition.
- Ensures that company financial records, under responsibility, are maintained in compliance with company policies and applicable accounting standards.
- Responsible for reviewing monthly/quarterly account reconciliations and other documents to ensure compliance.
- Leads the completion of Federal and State tax reporting requirements (including income, property, sales, payroll and other local taxes), insurance reports and other reports required by government regulation. Also, assists Corporate Tax, Treasury and Risk departments with dealing with tax related issues and meeting reporting requirements.
- Ensures that the computer system continues to operate as required. Involved in validating/designing suggested changes to ensure accounting requirements continue to be met.
- Coordinates work relating to external audits in the periodic review of the company financial records. Is further responsible for the implementation of agreed upon recommendations, related to areas of responsibility, resulting from the audit findings
- Ensures that the accounting department is staffed with qualified financial personnel capable of meeting the objectives and responsibilities, noted above. Responsible for continued development of these associates.
- Ensure accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year-end close processes
- Continuous management and support of budget and forecast activities
- Evaluate and advise on business operations including revenue and expenditure trends, financial commitments and future revenue
The ideal candidate will have a passionate commitment to improving the lives of people, an insane focus on excellence and customer service, and a strong alignment with our core values: being bold, focused, agile and collaborative. Additional qualifications include:
- Qualified Chartered Accountant with 7+ years experience
- Strong technical knowledge of taxation, compliance and regulatory requirements
- Experience in financial reporting and month-end, including preparation and posting of journals and updating reconciliations
- Ability to get hands-on in a complex operational environment
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and work to tight deadlines
- Advanced computer skills on ERP, MS Office, accounting software
- Ability to manipulate large amounts of data
- Proven knowledge of bookkeeping and accounting principles, practices, standards, laws, and regulations
- High attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to direct and supervise
Preferably had previous experience using ERP systems such as Oracle
What do we offer you?
Working in an international environment with colleagues from 70+ nationalities, an ownership culture, flexible working hours, unlimited (paid!) holidays and the latest technologies.
Careem gives equal opportunities. All aspects of ownership including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for everyone.