At Careem, our mission is to simplify & improve the lives of people, initially through solutions that make transportation in the region reliable, and over time, through disruptions in payments and logistics. In the process, we want to build an organization that inspires and become a world-class institution from the region.
Careem is the MENA regions leading ride-hailing platform and newest Tech Unicorn. With 30% monthly growth, we now operate in 90+ cities across 13+ countries and host over 15 million users. With our recent Series D funding success, we are positioned on the cusp of significant scale and well on target to deliver our goal of creating one million jobs in the region by 2018. Read more about us here and here.
Join us in building a world-class institution in the Middle East and experience the thrill of being part of a high-growth technology company, to improve people's lives.
Key responsibilities include:
The Accounting Manager would be responsible for all areas relating to Financial Reporting.
- Oversees the general accounting function, which includes inter-company accounting, cash management/reconciliation, financial reporting, balance sheet management and expenses claim management.
- Accountable for ensuring that policies and procedures (internal controls) are in place to provide reasonable assurance that the company assets are protected.
- Provides technical accounting guidance and support. At times, this may include involvement in due diligence and other activities surrounding real estate agreements, acquisitions/disposals.
- Responsible for proper timing and application of revenue recognition rules. This currently entails a real-time review and determination of the proper timing of revenue recognition.
- Ensures that company financial records, under responsibility, are maintained in compliance with company policies and applicable accounting standards.
- Responsible for reviewing monthly/quarterly account reconciliations and other documents to ensure compliance.
- Leads the completion of Federal and State tax reporting requirements (including income, property, sales, payroll and other local taxes), insurance reports and other reports required by government regulation. Also, assists Corporate Tax, Treasury and Risk departments with dealing with tax related issues and meeting reporting requirements.
- Ensures that the computer system continues to operate as required. Involved in validating/designing suggested changes to ensure accounting requirements continue to be met.
- Coordinates work relating to external audits in the periodic review of the company financial records. Is further responsible for the implementation of agreed upon recommendations, related to areas of responsibility, resulting from the audit findings
- Ensures that the accounting department is staffed with qualified financial personnel capable of meeting the objectives and responsibilities, noted above. Responsible for continued development of these associates.
- Ensure accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year-end close processes
- Continuous management and support of budget and forecast activities
- Evaluate and advise on business operations including revenue and expenditure trends, financial commitments and future revenue
The ideal candidate will have a passionate commitment to improving the lives of people, an insane focus on excellence and customer service, and a strong alignment with our core values: being bold, focused, agile and collaborative. Additional qualifications include:
- Qualified Chartered Accountant with 7+ years experience with Big 4
- Strong technical knowledge of taxation, compliance and regulatory requirements
- Experience in financial reporting and month-end, including preparation and posting of journals and updating reconciliations
- Ability to get hands-on in a complex operational environment
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and work to tight deadlines
- Advanced computer skills on ERP, MS Office, accounting software
- Ability to manipulate large amounts of data
- Proven knowledge of bookkeeping and accounting principles, practices, standards, laws, and regulations
- High attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to direct and supervise