Careem is the leading technology platform for the greater ME. A pioneer of the region’s ride-hailing economy, Careem is expanding services across its platform to include payments, delivery and mass transportation.
Careem’s mission is to simplify and improve the lives of people and build a lasting institution that inspires. Established in July 2012, Careem operates in more than 130 cities across 15 countries and has created more than one million job opportunities in the region and host over 30 million users.
ABOUT THE ROLE
You’re a seasoned engineering leader who consistently demonstrates empathy towards your users, internal stakeholders, and fellow engineers. You have experience growing teams of talented engineers and relentlessly remove roadblocks for your team.
You lead by example, promoting a positive and inclusive company culture and fostering trust and transparency. You have a solid track record of building strong engineering cultures and are skilled communicator. You know when to get involved and when to delegate; when to speak up and when to listen. Most of all, your passionate about simplying and improving the lives of people.
Key responsibilities include:
- Inspire, mentor and lead agile engineering teams to deliver high quality products.
- Grow engineering team as needed, providing guidance on compensation (budget and allocation) and promotions
- Assist your teams in developing roadmaps for system and product growth, then identify, plan, and execute projects to support that growth.
- Represent your team to senior leadership and other groups to build a challenging vision and ensure you have the resources to deliver it.
- Clearly communicate business goals to our engineers and keep them at the focus of how we build products. Ensure engineering is always adding business value and communicate this value to business leaders
- Strong ability to coach developers, helping them improve their skills and grow their careers
- Experience solving large-scale engineering challenges
- Encourages and supports others to take on responsibility, authority, and accountability.
The ideal candidate will have a passionate commitment to improving the lives of people, an insane focus on excellence and customer service, and a strong alignment with our core values: being bold, focused, agile and collaborative.
- 15+ years of software development experience with 3+ years being in management.
- At least 3 years of experience at a rapidly growing startup, or with leading cutting edge teams at a larger tech company
- Strong people management skills, that includes the ability to coach and mentor engineers and managers of all skill levels.
- A record of attracting and retaining world-class technical talent — someone that people want to work for, and with.
- An ability to shape strategy as part of a cross-functional leadership team, and to communicate and translate it effectively for technologists.
- Proven ability to influence decision-making at all levels within a similar sized organization, in a variety of contexts.