Do you want to help build a world-class institution, experience the thrill of being part of a high-growth technology company, and improve people’s lives?
At Careem, our mission is to simplify the lives of people, initially through solutions that make transportation reliable, and over time, through disruptions in payments and logistics. In the process, we want to build an organization that inspires and become a world-class institution.
Careem (Berlin & Dubai's $3.1 Billion Dollar Start-up) recently acquired by Uber, focusing on Ride Hailing & Logistics for the Middle East and Northern Africa Markets. We now operate in 130 cities across 15 countries and host over 30 million users.
We are building out a world class team of engineers, and we'd love to see if you're a good fit for our open, inclusive and friendly culture.
ABOUT THE ROLE
DevOps Engineers will be involved in the full life cycle of an application and a team members of an agile development process, responsible for the design and implementation of applications’ build, release, deployment, and configuration activities.
Other responsibilities include working with internal business partners to gather requirements, prototyping, architecting, implementing/updating CICD solutions, exploring tools, release management process automation, deployment automation, environment setups, managing operations, and triaging and fixing operational issues.
Key responsibilities include:
- Builds pipelines from scratch integrating relevant environments (e.g. cloud services).
- Designs and implements a high availability pattern for example using auto-scaling, load balancing, health checks etc.
- Performs capacity planning and proposes the right size / capacity required for running the service (number of instances, disk size, instance type like compute optimized vs memory optimized etc.)
- Tracks and support the roll out version and deployment.
- Defines roll out strategies for features/services (canary deployments, shadow systems etc.)
- Understand and uses appropriate tools and principles to deploy, run, resolve, release, maintain and monitor code.
- Should be able to triage the issues by looking at the alerts at a meta level and dissect error logs.
- Participating in upgrades like MySQL, Unix/Linux, infrastructure changes etc.
- 24/7 operations and ability to do night shift.
The ideal candidate will have a passionate commitment to improving the lives of people, an insane focus on excellence and customer service, and a strong alignment with our core values: being bold, focused, agile and collaborative
- Good scripting skills – Bash, Pearl, Ruby or Python
- Strong Linux background.
- Hands-on skills of Cloud services (certifications preferred)
- Good communication skills.
- Able to resolve known issues by runbooks.
- Minimum 3 years of experience.
- Bachelors or master’s in computer science.
Nice to have:
- Proficiency in one or more of the following:
- Kubernetes, New Relic, VictorOps
- Microservice Architecture
- Experience with cloud-centric application development and deployment (AWS)
- Bachelors or higher degree in Computer Science or related disciplines
- Competitive salary
- Unlimited annual leave
- Entrepreneurial working environment
- Flexible working arrangements
- Mentorship and career growth