Do you want to work on the most pressing problem of our generation?
We’re building the infrastructure for the net zero transition, and we’re looking for brilliant builders who want to help define a low carbon future.
Decarbonizing the economy requires a granular, real-time view of where emissions come from and how they might be reduced. We build software to automate the carbon footprinting of supply chains. Banks, traders, and manufacturers use our product to tame the complexity of international supply networks, identify the most carbon-intensive parts, and find greener alternatives. Having developed technology which is significant in advance of competitive solutions, we are now investing heavily in market adoption.
You can find out more about interviewing at CarbonChain at https://www.carbonchain.com/careers/interview-process.
Working at CarbonChain
To join CarbonChain, you’ll be a keen team player who loves to learn from others. Our company is made up of passionate people with expertise ranging from oil refining to deep learning. Between us we’ve run Amazon’s European supply chain, built JustEat’s corporate meal delivery platform, and monitored industrial emissions with satellites for Al Gore. We’ve got MBAs and PhDs but we know that there’s a lot we don’t know, and we’re hoping you can help fill that gap.
We encourage every member of our team to be the best they can be, whether that’s developing skills through their learning budget or participating in reading groups. Our work requires everybody to straddle the physical and digital worlds, and a growth mindset is essential.
What will you be responsible for at Carbon Chain?
As the world wakes up to the reality of climate change and the need to decarbonize, there’s a pressing need to understand the carbon intensity of every activity in the economy. Your job as Software Engineer is to build the digital platform that will provide that understanding, and get insights to clients.
As the first Software Engineering hire in the NYC office, you’ll work closely with the team in London as well as the North American tech and sales organizations. Your work will contribute to the acquisition and success of North American clients and ensure that we scale our infrastructure and processes to support a global operation.
You can expect to have:
- Ownership of your projects
- An independent path to production
- The ability to make real changes with tangible business value
The core of the system relies on a handful of services built in Python Fast API and Java Spring Boot. We aren’t shy to add other tools that make us ship valuable features better and faster. Other tools comprise Angular/Typescript, PostgreSQL, Redis, Cognito, but our cloud-based infrastructure enables us to explore new technologies parallel with our existing platform. We’d love to bring on engineers who come from diverse backgrounds to help us explore new angles of solving business challenges and deliver solutions that wow our customers.
Our only must-haves are possessing a hunger to solve business challenges using technology and the ability to build close relationships with your team.
Which tools, technologies, and processes will you work with?
- Containerised applications are the key to our technology vision allowing us to replicate production environments locally and scale services at will.
- Object-oriented code forms the bulk of our codebase.
- PostgreSQL and DynamoDB managed databases form the persistence layer - you’ll learn to navigate document and relational databases and appreciate the values in both worlds.
- Infrastructure automation is owned by the whole team, helping to spread the DevOps mentality across the whole technology department (and beyond).
- Testing approaches from unit testing to integration testing are key to delivering reliable and maintainable solutions.
- Quality assurance is owned by the team themselves - we believe that full cycle product ownership should sit tightly within the team.
- Agile development, using various approaches from Scrum to Elephant Carpaccio, helps us deliver software in small iterations, learning and course-correcting in the process to make sure we deliver the right improvements.
- GitHub PRs are an integral part of our core development flow - with reviews to help share knowledge and improve quality.
- Continuous delivery is the approach we strive for - with metrics that help us optimise parts of the pipeline that need it the most.
- Teamwork and collaboration are fundamental to the delivery of our solutions. We encourage solutionizing between the team and the wider business.
You don’t need to be a pro at all of these skills to apply for the role, but we’d love to hear about any relevant knowledge and experiences that you have in these areas.
What we require from applicants
- 2+ years of relevant work experience
- Right to work in the US and willingness to come to the NYC office 2+ days a week
- A passion for environmental issues
- A demonstrated interest in building products and collaborating tightly with engineers
- The grit and energy to work in an early stage startup
What we're offering
- Competitive salary + generous equity package
- Flexible working hours - we encourage regular breaks and being AFK (away from keyboard) to support your wellbeing
- $2,000 annual development allowance for you to spend on developing your current skills and learning new things
- Tech equipment of your choice
- Regular social activities
- Generous amount of holidays, 26 days of annual leave
We're striving to build a diverse team and we would love to hear from applicants from backgrounds less frequently represented in technology, be that in terms of gender, race, or professional background.
If you think your skills and experience match what we’re looking for and you’d like to join a Carbon Tech industry unicorn, please get in touch!