Capsule is rebuilding the $425 billion pharmacy industry from the inside out with an emotionally resonant experience and technology that enables customized outcomes for patients, doctors, hospitals, insurers, and manufacturers. We are laser focused on creating the best healthcare experience for our customers and driving meaningful value and better outcomes for every participant in the healthcare system. Capsule has raised over $500MM from the best healthcare and technology investors in the world to pursue our mission of building a pharmacy that works for everyone.
Our values are: everybody needs some looking after sometimes and winning together. People succeed in our culture when they are intensely focused on our customers, are energized by accomplishing ambitious goals, and push themselves and their teammates to be better. We work hard to teach and share our successes to help one another be successful. We anticipate our teammates’ needs and communicate early and often, using the input of our peers to operate both fast and right. We have tremendous ambitions and a lot of fun pursuing them — if that excites you, we’d love to have you join us.
About the Role:
As a Design Systems Engineer at Capsule, you will be responsible for the production of reusable UI components that are consumed by other engineers. This role enables feature delivery frontend engineers to be more efficient by designing and implementing an ergonomic, flexible, high-quality design system that satisfies the vast majority of Capsule’s front-end experience use cases.
- Work with the designer to understand all the potential needs and use cases of the system. Suggest structures and configurations that strike the right level of abstraction needed to reduce complexity and prevent re-work in the future.
- Work with design and engineering to design component APIs that are easy to understand and work with. Identify and implement ways to reduce complexity, prevent errors, and increase the velocity of other engineers.
- Work with design and engineering to name and organize components in a way that is usable and intuitive. (E.g. what repo do components live in, how are they accessed by other projects, etc.)
- Implement components using React, Typescript, and Styled Components. Render and unit test UI components using Storybook.
- Work with design to prototype and stress-test designs. (E.g. pull real data and map through it to identify gaps and unaccounted-for edge cases with current designs.) Create and systematize solutions to solve any issues identified. (E.g. empty states, loading states, error states, etc.)
- Ensure components support keyboard navigation and meet accessibility standards.
- Write documentation for how to use and maintain the system, and provide guidance on best practices for how to compose/extend the system when needed.
- Collect feedback on how to improve. Track issues and requests. Maintain and add to the system.
- Work with design and engineering to create, extend, or compose components as new use cases and needs arise.
- Assist in refactoring existing code/features to use new and improved components when and where it makes sense to do so.
- You drive results in a way that makes everyone better. You accomplish ambitious objectives while uplifting the team around you. You're a magnet for team members looking to get better and be successful.
- You can work both fast and right and don't view them as trade-offs. You understand when things require precision and accuracy and where 80% gets you to the desired outcome.
- You operate like an owner and expect others to as well. You take personal responsibility and value personal responsibility in others.
- You check your ego at the door. You are interested in finding the right answer vs. always having the right answer.
- 5+ years of overall software engineering experience.
- Experience contributing to the architecture and system design (architecture and design patterns) of new and current front-end component libraries and systems.
- You have been part of a team that owned software components critical to business.
Nice to have:
- Experience deploying applications through AWS
- A CS degree or equivalent
The starting anticipated earnings for this position is between $170,000 and $210,000. Compensation packages include base pay, competitive benefits, and may include equity in the form of RSUs.
Capsule is committed to hiring the best team possible to build a pharmacy that works for everyone. We have a diverse set of problems to solve, and believe that we need a diverse set of perspectives to deliver the best possible solutions to those problems. We look for talent from a wide range of backgrounds - including but not limited to - race, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, disability, and veteran status.