At Capital on Tap, we believe in small businesses and their potential. That's why we are on a mission to build tools for small businesses to help them thrive.
We have helped more than 100,000 small businesses across the UK, Spain, and the US, and hope to partner with more than 1 million businesses by the end of 2025. We have been named by the Financial Times as one of the Fastest Growing Companies in Europe for 5 years in a row and we have a global team of 200 across London, Cardiff, Madrid and Atlanta.
Our people (and our office dogs) really are the best thing about working at Capital on Tap. We have built a dynamic, fun and vibrant culture. Your opportunities for growth are as big as your ambitions and we champion you to pilot your own ideas to have an impact and add value to the business!
We are a place where a diverse mix of talented people want to come and do their best work and most importantly feel included and welcome. We foster an environment that allows people to share, engage, learn, support, participate and work towards positive change. We hold regular culture and inclusion events, such as Black History Month, Pride Week and International Women’s Day and have genuine goals to improve every day. You can read more about these events on our blog, and more about our team and our values here.
We’re looking for an IT Support Engineer to assist with monitoring and maintaining the computer systems, networks and day to day running of the IT infrastructure within the organisation.
The role includes installing and configuring computer systems, diagnosing hardware and software faults and solving technical and applications problems, either remotely or in person.
You'll be responsible for the smooth running of computer systems and ensuring that users get maximum benefits from them. You will also be responsible for assisting the business and the users with account access, application support and general issues / data changes that can only be made by IT.
The role level is equivalent to ITIL support level 2 or 3.
What you’ll be doing:
- Install and configure computer hardware operating systems and applications
- Troubleshoot system and network problems, diagnosing and solving hardware or software faults
- Prioritise and manage many open cases at one time
- Rapidly establish a good working relationship with users and other professionals, such as software developers
- Test and evaluate new technology
- Help troubleshoot and escalate issues to software development teams after thorough troubleshooting
- Identify the specific nature of user difficulties and provide effective solutions
- Ability to listen to a user explain a problem, determine the probable cause, and logically take the user through a step-by-step problem determination procedure either in person, over the telephone, or IM chat
- Ability to visualize a problem or situation and think abstractly to solve it
- Assure timely response to email and telephone assistance requests
- Accurately log all help desk calls
- A high level of organization, neatness and quality workmanship
- Demonstrated ability to identify and respond to situations that require a high sense of urgency
- Ability to recognize when escalation of issues is required
- Use monitoring tools to ensure up-time, monitor network health and troubleshoot issues
- Build partnerships with users by regularly demonstrating expertise and professionalism
- Keep users informed of problem resolution timeline and action plans
- Independently assess and effectively respond to users' requests
- Implement problem solutions by following company policies and procedures
- Develop and document procedures used by Help Desk as part of building training library
- Monitor and maintain stock levels of key resources including hardware and software licenses
Working hours would involve shift work. Shifts would be 07:00-16:00, 09:00-18:00 and 10:30 – 19:30
There may also be a requirement to work out of hours over weekends. This work would only be to assist with urgent requirements for a user to get back up and running. Other requests raised on weekends would be dealt with during office hours.
We are a diverse team, all eager to learn more and to help each other out. We love building innovative systems, solving problems and working together to really make a difference in the business.
Within IT, we work in an agile methodology in small cross-functional teams which we feel saves time, increases efficiency and improves communication between everyone involved.
What do we require?
- A+ certified or equivalent experience. Microsoft MCSE, MCSA Certification preferred.
- Network and security certified or equivalent experience.
- Strong communication skills with a desire to provide outstanding customer service
- Excellent working knowledge of MS operating systems, Windows 10 and Server 2016
- Good networking skills in DNS, TCP/IP, L2/L3, firewalls and switches
- Excellent hardware & software troubleshooting skills
- Thorough experience with Office 365, Google Workspace (formally G Suite)
- Good working knowledge and expertise in Active Directory, Windows Server, Group Policy
- Good working knowledge of common office computer programs such as MS Office and e-mail applications
- Experience with the installation, configuration and troubleshooting of operating systems and client applications
- Excellent troubleshooting skills and be able to quickly understand complex environments
- Well-developed interpersonal, organizational, and problem solving skills
- A positive attitude and a desire to be a team player
- Demonstrated ability to communicate orally and in writing in a clear concise manner
- Flexibility and willingness to perform maintenance tasks and problem resolution out-of-hours and on weekends
- Multi-tasking capabilities and ability to thrive in a fast paced environment
- Working knowledge of ITIL v3 foundation level (optional)
- Scripting (not essential)
- Power shell (not essential)
- Automation tools (not essential)
- Cloud based technology and platforms (not essential)
What you'll get in return
We try not to take ourselves too seriously (all the time) so we make sure our office is decked out with a pool table, arcade machine, beer tap, and a couple of office dogs thrown in for good measure. In addition to a great environment in a buzzing location in Shoreditch we also offer:
- Competitive base salary
- 28 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Generous yearly anniversary rewards (including 4 weeks paid sabbatical in year 4)
- We give every employee a learning budget of £1,000 a year to spend on your own personal development (we want to encourage your growth!)
- Private healthcare through Vitality
- Six free therapy sessions
- Opportunities for internal career progression
- Free breakfast and snacks every day
- An opportunity to pilot new ideas that impact the growth and direction of the business
- The chance to work for one of the fastest-growing FinTech companies in the UK
- Travelcard loan and/or cycle to work scheme
Diversity and Inclusion
At Capital on Tap we are fully focused on equality and believe deeply in diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, ability, national origin and all the other characteristics that make us who we are.
We want to be a place where a diverse mix of talented people want to come and do their best work and most importantly feel included and that they can be their authentic selves. We welcome, consider and encourage applications from anyone that shares this passion.