Capital on Tap believe that the future is all about the impact that small businesses can have in the world. As such we are on a mission to help them thrive – cash flow shouldn’t be a barrier to success.
Since launching our business credit card and business loans in 2017 we have been taking off like a rocket! We are one of the fastest growing companies in the UK (Sunday Times Fast Track 100 in 2017, 2018 and 2019) while still posting a profit to fund our future growth. 2019 looks to be just as exciting (and busy!) as we continue on our incredible trajectory.
Our people (and our office dogs) really are the best thing about working at Capital on Tap. We have built a dynamic, fun and vibrant culture where your opportunities for growth are as big as your ambitions.
The Data Engineer will be responsible for expanding, maintaining and optimising our data and data pipeline architecture, optimising data flow and managing our data platform from design through to on-going administration.
The Data Engineer will support our software developers, DevOps engineers, database architects, data analysts and data scientists on data initiatives and will ensure optimal data delivery architecture is consistent throughout ongoing projects. They are self-directed and comfortable supporting the data needs of multiple teams, systems and products.
With responsibility for all data platforms (SQL Server, MongoDb, Redis etc), this is a “hands-on” position requiring solid technical skills, as well as excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
What you'll be doing?
- Create and maintain optimal data pipeline architectures.
- Assemble large, complex data sets that meet functional / non-functional business requirements.
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimising data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Build the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL, Azure and Snowflake ‘big data’ technologies.
- Build analytics tools that utilise the data pipeline to provide actionable insights into customer acquisition, operational efficiency and other key business performance metrics.
- Work with stakeholders including the Executive, Product, Data and Development teams to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs.
- Keep our data separated and secure across national boundaries through multiple data centers and Azure regions.
- Create data tools for analytics and data scientist team members that assist them in building and optimizing our product.
- Manage SQL Server, MongoDb and Redis databases through multiple product lifecycle environments, from development to mission-critical production systems.
- Configure and maintain database servers and processes, including monitoring of system health and performance, to ensure high levels of performance, availability, and security.
- Regularly review and audit security roles, groups and permissions.
- Apply data modeling techniques to ensure development and implementation support efforts meet integration and performance expectations.
- Refine and automate regular processes, track issues, and document changes.
- Implement and monitor replication and high availability groups and clusters.
- Document the company’s data environment, constructing physical and logical diagrams (including data dictionaries).
- Share domain and technical expertise, providing technical mentorship and cross-training to other peers and team members.
What do we require?
- Advanced working knowledge of SQL and experience working with relational databases, query authoring as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases.
- Experience building and optimising “big data” data pipelines, architectures and data sets.
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Strong analytic skills related to working with unstructured datasets.
- Build processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency and workload management.
- Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment.
- Experienced in configuring and administering:
- Experience in troubleshooting and resolving database integrity issues, performance issues, blocking and deadlocking issues, replication issues, log shipping issues, connectivity issues, security issues etc.
- Experience in Performance Tuning, Query Optimization, using Performance Monitor, SQL Profiler and other related monitoring and troubleshooting tools.
- Ability to detect and troubleshoot SQL Server related CPU,memory, I/O, disk space and other resource contention.
- Strong knowledge of backups, restores, recovery models, database shrink operations, DBCC commands, Clustering, Database mirroring, Replication.
- Solid acquaintance with windows server, security delegation, SPNs, storage components.
- Familiarity with C#, LINQ, Entity Framework (or equivalent ORMs) (optional)
- Familiarity with ETL tools and components
- Familiarity with data analysis platforms such as PowerBI, Tableau and Looker (optional)
- 5+ years of experience
What you get in return
We also try not to take ourselves too seriously (all the time) so we make sure our office is decked out with a pool table, arcade machine, beer tap, and a couple of office dogs thrown in for good measure. In addition to a great environment in a buzzing location in Shoreditch we also offer:
- A competitive salary
- An opportunity to grow and develop – we give every employee £1,000 a year to grow their skills outside the company
- Private healthcare
- 28 days paid holiday
- Travel card loan and/or cycle to work scheme
- Free breakfast and snacks daily
- Anniversary rewards, including a 4 week paid sabbatical when you reach 4 years