At Canvas we are developing technology that improves the quality and affordability of the places where we work and live while improving the working conditions of the people who build these spaces. Our mission is to empower people to build in bold new ways. Our team has spent the past several years engineering and developing a new machine that keeps workers safe, improves their job conditions, and produces great budget, schedule and quality outcomes. At the same time, we have been building a culture at Canvas that empowers our employees to do their best work, while having fun and advancing their careers.
We need a Robotics Support Technician to help us provide technical support for operators using our machine in the field. As our fleet of robots continues to grow and expand into new geographical areas, the need for back-end technical support has also grown. Reporting to our Technical Support Manager, Sam Stowe, you will work East coast construction working hours (6am - 2pm EST/3:00am - 11:00am PST) to take phone calls, document issues, troubleshoot and escalate issues, as appropriate.
Who You Are:
- Role can be remote in the following states California, Illinois, Missouri, Michigan, Colorado and Texas (minimum expected quarterly travel to San Francisco HQ)
- Able to work early morning shift: 6am - 2pm EST (3am - 11am PST)
- Fluent in English and Spanish
- Experience in a technical support role, or similar relevant experience
- Have excellent written (i.e. email, process documents) and verbal (i.e. phone, Zoom) communication skills
- Comfortable working with mechanical and electrical systems
- Excited to learn about new, complex technical systems
- Process-oriented (i.e. follow troubleshooting manuals, operate the ticketing system effectively)
- Organized (i.e. keeping detailed notes)
- Able to connect with people quickly and create rapport (i.e. working with external customers and a possibly remote team)
- Empathetic, active-listener
- Patient in moments of stress
- Resourceful critical thinker (i.e. able to use information available to make sound decisions, knowing when to escalate issues, agency in own work)
- Preferably, experience in robotics or construction
- If there are items under the “Who You Are” section that you are working towards or would like to pursue, we still encourage you to apply. Our promise is that a real person is reviewing your application when received.
What You’ll Do:
- In 30 days, you will…
- Attend a two-week mandatory in-person machine training in San Francisco to learn about drywall finishing, our robot (i.e. functionality, systems, and basic troubleshooting), and the workflow of operators in the field
- Complete basic safety training on the machine
- Read through manuals and training materials about the machine and its various systems
- Shadow experienced Canvas Certified Finishers (CCFs) using the machine
- Shadow the Technical Support Manager during on-call shifts
- Learn about our ticketing and escalation process
- Attend / participate in weekly ticket triage meetings
- In 60 days, you will…
- Start to become familiar with technical support documentation
- Begin to take calls helping operators problem solve using the Tech Support Manager for additional support
- Escalate urgent issues to the Tech Support Manager. Follow the chain of communication and action, as a resolution is reached.
- Fill out tickets in our Jira board correctly, and help move them through the appropriate workflows toward resolution
- Begin interfacing directly with engineering on follow up actions required on tickets
- Follow up with the engineering team to keep track of outstanding tickets
- In 90 days, you will…
- Take technical support shifts on your own
- Problem solve with operators through all issues in the technical support documentation, and help troubleshoot novel issues
- Use knowledge of other issues to troubleshoot more advanced issues on your own
- Move urgent issues through our escalation process independently
- Create detailed tickets in our Jira board, leave updates in the comments section, and change status of tickets depending on their stage of resolution
- Add new items to the tech support manual
- Review release notes with the Tech Support Manager, and update technical documentation
- In a year, you will…
- Work technical support shifts on your own comfortably, supporting multiple robots in the field at once
- Escalate issues efficiently through our process, working directly with the technical Canvas team
- Troubleshoot through never before seen issues
- Update troubleshooting documentation with new information
- Work directly with engineering to ensure tickets are moved toward resolution
- Help design more efficient processes for managing call volume and ticket processing
- Help select and setup new support tools to help Canvas scale
- Provide support and serviceability feedback to product/engineering teams on upcoming new hardware and software
- Assist with hiring process and onboarding of new support team members
Being fully vaccinated and boosted against COVID-19 is a condition of employment at Canvas. We provide accommodations for religious or medical reasons.
Canvas is an Equal Opportunity Employer - we do not discriminate in hiring, promotions, or any other way on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Canvas is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. To request reasonable accommodation, contact Andi Martinez, Recruiting Manager (email@example.com, 415-906-9640).