At Canvas we are developing technology that improves the quality and affordability of the places where we work and live while improving the working conditions of the people who build these spaces. Our mission is to empower people to build in bold new ways. Our team has spent the past several years engineering and developing a new machine that keeps workers safe, improves their job conditions, and produces great budget, schedule and quality outcomes. At the same time, we have been building a culture at Canvas that empowers our employees to do their best work, while having fun and advancing their careers.
We need a Senior Robotics Software Engineer to help us define how the robot behaves on a construction site by guiding algorithm development and implementation for the robotic platform. Reporting to the Robotics Software Team Manager, Sander Idelson, you will be responsible for the creation and deployment of behaviors from concept through implementation and testing. This includes researching state of the art approaches, early prototyping, integration into the software stack, and debugging on the hardware. As a member of the robotics team you will have visibility across the engineering units and effectively coordinate debugging efforts on the full system.
Who You Are:
- Based in San Francisco (or commutable distance)
- Able to understand and explain the basics of the following disciplines
- Have a passion for autonomous systems and robotics
- Engineering experience in industry (outside of education) relating to robotic systems
- Hands-on experience writing software to control physical systems
- Industry experience building and delivering production code for 3+ years
- Robot Operating System (ROS) experience
- C++ and Python experience in a Linux environment
- Software fundamentals (i.e. iteration, data structure, object oriented programming, bits and bytes)
- Preferably, an engineering generalist with mechanical, electronic and software skills
- If there are items under the “Who You Are” section that you are working towards or would like to pursue, we still encourage you to apply. Our promise is that a real person is reviewing your application when received.
What You'll Do
- In 30 days you will…
- Learn about the process of drywall finishing and the challenges that go along with it
- Meet our excellent team of world class engineers
- Become familiar with the Canvas robot, its software and architecture
- Start working on an exciting feature for our new or existing robot by interviewing stakeholders and performing a study on how to solve this problem
- In 60 days you will…
- Take the learnings from your study and start to implement your feature in code
- Create your first PR’s ensuring robust and well-written code
- Test and retest your code in simulation and on-robot
- Meet and interact people from all departments, learning about their function at Canvas
- In 90 days you will…
- See your feature through to completion, incorporating documentation, tests and stakeholder feedback
- Merge your feature into our code base and support its rollout to customers
- Stay current with the team’s other projects to support development across the team
- In a year you will…
- Develop mentoring relationships with members of our team
- Build new features that have impact for our customers and for Canvas
- Test features consistently for safety, reliability and functionality
- Work closely with the rest of the team, supporting other areas of development
Why You Should Join Canvas
- Autonomy and support to grow into your career at a growing startup.
- Excellent benefits, including fully covered medical, vision, and dental
- 401k matching
- A learning and development stipend
- The ability to work in a sweet office in SF with some pretty cool robots
- And of course the opportunity to work with some of the coolest people working on those robots in the Bay Area!
See the base annual salary range for this position, in the selected city, below. Compensation may vary outside of this range depending on a number of factors, including a candidate’s qualifications, skills, competencies, experience, location, and market conditions. Base pay is one part of the total compensation that is provided to recognize employees for their work, and this role may be eligible for additional discretionary bonuses, incentives, and stock options.
Being fully vaccinated and boosted against COVID-19 is a condition of employment at Canvas. We provide accommodations for religious or medical reasons.
Canvas is an Equal Opportunity Employer - we do not discriminate in hiring, promotions, or any other way on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Canvas is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. To request reasonable accommodation, contact Andi Martinez, Recruiting Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org, 415-906-9640).