Canvas is the #1 Diversity Recruitment Platform (DRP). It’s the new way to hire diverse teams with confidence and gain full transparency into the diversity of applicants in your hiring process. Startups to Fortune 500 companies are using Canvas to understand the diversity of their recruiting pipeline, source underrepresented talent, run engaging virtual events, enhance employer brand, and measure the ROI of their diversity recruiting initiatives.
We’re backed by Sequoia and recently closed $20 million in funding. We’re also a remote-first company (US based only at this time) and no matter where you sit, you’re a part of our Canvas.
Our team is composed of people from every background and experience. We’re MLK Scholars, high school dropouts, former artists, veterans and working parents. We’re a passionate team of learners and doers with a bias for action. We encourage each other to remember and exercise our individual “why” in service to our mission.
The Finance team is a lean group and is responsible for all things accounting and finance related at Canvas. As the Accounting Manager, you will report directly to the Director of Finance and work closely with cross-functional partners to support all aspects of the business. The Accounting Manager will be responsible for running the day-to-day accounting operations and the month-end close process. The ideal candidate will have a strong technical accounting background and the flexibility to roll up their sleeves and dive into the details and wear many hats as part of an exciting and growing company.
This mission-critical role is best suited for a candidate who embodies all of our values:
Dream Big: Regardless of role or team, you think and act like a founder by imagining the impossible.
Open Doors: You make sure there is always a door for everyone to walk through; whether that’s being gracious or knocking down barriers for others—you make space for those who need it.
Be a Student: You always have a growth mindset because you know that trusting, respecting and listening to others is essential to our individual and collective success. You approach situations with curiosity over judgement—we only fail when we stop learning and asking questions.
Walk the Walk: Follow-through is what transforms promises into progress. You do not pay lip service to our mission or others—you execute.
What You’ll Do
- Responsible for the month-end close process, including preparing journal entries, balance sheet reconciliations, and variance analysis related to key accounts such as cash, fixed assets, prepaid assets, deferred revenue, and accrued expenses
- Prepare consolidated monthly financial statements
- Perform daily accounting tasks, including full-cycle accounts payable, customer invoicing and collections, and corporate expense policy monitoring
- Assist with state and local tax returns and remittance
- Document, perform and continuously improve internal control policies and procedures
- Research technical accounting issues, prepare policy memos, and ensure that company policies are in compliance with GAAP
- Support with income tax compliance and external audit
- Partner with the Director of Finance with ad-hoc projects related to finance system implementations, budgeting, and forecasting
What To Bring
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field; CPA required
- 5+ years of accounting experience, with a mixture of public accounting and industry experience
- Strong accounting knowledge and understanding of GAAP and financial reporting
- Highly proficient in Excel, including VLOOKUP, SUMIF, pivot tables, etc.
- Detail oriented, self-motivated and comfortable working in a fast-paced, dynamic start-up environment
- Experience with a SaaS business is preferred
- Experience with Quickbooks, Intacct/Netsuite is a plus
We’d love to set you up for success and are offering resources emphasizing your personal well being!
- Medical, dental, vision insurance: 99% coverage for you and your dependents
- 401(k) plan and we match 3% of your salary (regardless if you contribute or not)
- unlimited paid-time off
- flexible parental leave
- $500 work from home stipend
- $75/week reimbursement for your meals or groceries
- quarterly wellness days off with a $125 quarterly wellness stipend