Canvas is the #1 Diversity Recruitment Platform (DRP). It’s the new way to hire diverse teams with confidence and gain full transparency into the diversity of applicants in your hiring process. Startups to Fortune 500 companies are using Canvas to understand the diversity of their recruiting pipeline, source underrepresented talent, run engaging virtual events, enhance employer brand, and measure the ROI of their diversity recruiting initiatives.
We’re backed by Sequoia and recently closed $20 million in funding. We’re also a remote-first company (US based only at this time) and no matter where you sit, you’re a part of our Canvas.
Our team is composed of people from every background and experience. We’re MLK Scholars, high school dropouts, former artists, veterans and working parents. We’re a passionate team of learners and doers with a bias for action. We encourage each other to remember and exercise our individual “why” in service to our mission.
There isn’t one - you’d be building it from the ground up, ultimately as the first legal hire you will help partner with the CEO to build a best in class legal team that serves as the backbone to Canvas’s success and growth over the years.
This mission-critical role is best suited for a candidate who embodies all of our values:
Dream Big: Regardless of role or team, you think and act like a founder by imagining the impossible.
Open Doors: You make sure there is always a door for everyone to walk through; whether that’s being gracious or knocking down barriers for others—you make space for those who need it.
Be a Student: You always have a growth mindset because you know that trusting, respecting and listening to others is essential to our individual and collective success. You approach situations with curiosity over judgement—we only fail when we stop learning and asking questions.
Walk the Walk: Follow-through is what transforms promises into progress. You do not pay lip service to our mission or others—you execute.
What You’ll Do
This is an opportunity to build a world class legal team in support of a rapidly growing business. Your primary focus will be helping our engineering, security and product teams scale the Canvas services compliantly. Your knowledge of data privacy and security will be essential, but you will also be tasked with advising on front end marketing and user interface product legal issues. Beyond that, you will manage Canvas’s legal operations, including handling any corporate, commercial, employment, IP, and regulatory issues that arise in the ordinary course of business.
What To Bring
- 6+ years of experience as an attorney, ideally with experience from both a law firm and in-house experience.
- Law firm experience should include supporting tech company clients across IP, privacy, contract drafting, and product development.
- Extensive experience advising engineering and product groups during all stages of developing and launching a cloud service.
- A deep understanding of how to translate data security and data privacy laws into product requirements that support the Canvas business goals.
- Demonstrated capability of managing multi-disciplinary matters through outside counsel.
- Comfortable with advising on risks in highly ambiguous and evolving regulatory climates around the world.
We’d love to set you up for success and are offering resources emphasizing your personal well being!
- Medical, dental, vision insurance: 99% coverage for you and your dependents
- 401(k) plan and we match 3% of your salary (regardless if you contribute or not)
- unlimited paid-time off
- flexible parental leave
- $500 work from home stipend
- $75/week reimbursement for your meals or groceries
- quarterly wellness days off with a $125 quarterly wellness stipend