Canvas is the #1 Diversity Recruitment Platform (DRP). It’s the new way to hire diverse teams with confidence and gain full transparency into the diversity of applicants in your hiring process. Startups to Fortune 500 companies are using Canvas to understand the diversity of their recruiting pipeline, source underrepresented talent, run engaging virtual events, enhance employer brand and measure the ROI of their diversity recruiting initiatives.
We’re backed by Sequoia and recently closed $20 million in funding. We’re also a remote-first company (US-based only at this time) and no matter where you sit, you’re a part of our Canvas.
Our team is composed of people from every background and experience. We’re MLK Scholars, high school dropouts, former artists, veterans and working parents. We’re a passionate team of learners and doers with a bias for action. We encourage each other to remember and exercise our individual “why” in service to our mission.
The People, Talent & Opportunity team at Canvas is a lean, but highly motivated group that is laser focused on creating a world class employee experience in a world where the future of work is distributed and diverse. We are seeking to hire an HR Operations Lead to help us achieve operational excellence and deliver on our brand promise of creating a community where our team feels motivated, engaged and passionate about our mission.
This mission-critical role is best suited for a candidate who embodies all of our values:
Dream Big: Regardless of role or team, you think and act like a founder by imagining the impossible.
Open Doors: You make sure there is always a door for everyone to walk through; whether that’s being gracious or knocking down barriers for others—you make space for those who need it.
Be a Student: You always have a growth mindset because you know that trusting, respecting and listening to others is essential to our individual and collective success. You approach situations with curiosity over judgement—we only fail when we stop learning and asking questions.
Walk the Walk: Follow-through is what transforms promises into progress. You do not pay lip service to our mission or others—you execute.
What You’ll Do
- Work with the Director of People, Culture & Opportunity to build out processes, policies and systems across the HR function in pursuit of operational excellence.
- Maintain knowledge of and compliance with federal, state and local employment laws and regulations.
- Administer health plans and benefits, including enrollments, changes and terminations; process required documents through payroll and insurance providers to ensure accurate record-keeping and proper deductions.
- Assist with new employee onboarding, including verification of I-9 documentation, background checks and technology equipment purchases.
- Support employee relations investigations and performance management as needed.
What You’ll Bring
- 5-7 years experience in Human Resources
- Autonomous self-starter with a demonstrated ability to drive improvements and simplify operational workflows.
- Knowledge of basic employment law and HR practices.
- Exceptional organizational skills including attention to detail and multitasking.
- Champion of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to act with integrity, professionalism and confidentiality.
- Excellent judgment and the ability to make sound decisions independently.
Nice To Haves
- SHRM certification or equivalent
- Experience working at a startup or nascent company.
We’d love to set you up for success and are offering resources emphasizing your personal well being!
- Medical, dental, vision insurance: 99% coverage for you and your dependents
- 401(k) plan and we match 3% of your salary (regardless if you contribute or not)
- Unlimited paid-time off
- Flexible parental leave
- $500 work from home stipend
- $75/week reimbursement for your meals or groceries