Canvas is the #1 Diversity Recruitment Platform (DRP). It’s the new way to hire diverse teams with confidence and gain full transparency into the diversity of applicants in your hiring process. Startups to Fortune 500 companies are using Canvas to understand the diversity of their recruiting pipeline, source underrepresented talent, run engaging virtual events, enhance employer brand, and measure the ROI of their diversity recruiting initiatives.
We’re backed by Sequoia and recently closed $20 million in funding. We’re also a remote-first company (US based only at this time) and no matter where you sit, you’re a part of our Canvas.
Our team is composed of people from every background and experience. We’re MLK Scholars, high school dropouts, former artists, veterans and working parents. We’re a passionate team of learners and doers with a bias for action. We encourage each other to remember and exercise our individual “why” in service to our mission.
Our stack consists of a Swift iOS app, Kotlin Android app, Vue.js frontend, Django / Python backend, ML recommendation-based microservice, and AWS/Netlify as our infrastructure.
This mission-critical role is best suited for a candidate who embodies all of our values:
Dream Big: Regardless of role or team, you think and act like a founder by imagining the impossible.
Open Doors: You make sure there is always a door for everyone to walk through; whether that’s being gracious or knocking down barriers for others—you make space for those who need it.
Be a Student: You always have a growth mindset because you know that trusting, respecting and listening to others is essential to our individual and collective success. You approach situations with curiosity over judgement—we only fail when we stop learning and asking questions.
Walk the Walk: Follow-through is what transforms promises into progress. You do not pay lip service to our mission or others—you execute.
- Lead complex backend projects from conception to deployment in production
- Serve as a tech lead or a source of intricate knowledge about entire platforms or services
- Act like an owner, reacting quickly to issues and serving as a source of knowledge across your whole platform
- Proactively identify risks to timely delivery, effectively communicating those and adjusting plans to achieve goals
- Serve as a mentor to many teammates, and are respected by peers as someone who is a great leader
- Catch architectural flaws in eng project planning and guide teammates in ways that level them up
- Have a track record of delivering high quality results for large or complex projects, exceeding you and your org’s commitments & expectations
- Have a knack for learning and adaptively handling tasks wherever needed
What You'll Do
- Design, build, operate, and maintain highly scalable, performant backend infrastructure
- Quickly distill fast-moving product requirements into tangible initiatives and projects
- Collaborate with our ML team to architect applications that are heavily data-driven
- Contribute to the culture of a growing team through your ideas and passion for engineering
- Take ownership of products end-to-end: from design through development to troubleshooting when things go wrong
- Shape our engineering culture through innovative problem solving to create ideas, tools, and infrastructure to raise the bar
- Work closely with the product team to plan and prioritize features
- Low ego, high EQ engineer, able to work collaboratively no matter the task at hand
- You put customers first, taking a humanistic approach to ensuring all engineering requirements are met in the best way possible for our users
- Be instrumental in the future development of our organization's backend API and infrastructure
What to Bring
- 6+ years of experience in software development
- 3+ years of in-depth experience with Django (or equivalent framework)
- A proven track record of success developing & shipping large-scale, performant, and scalable backend-focused applications
- Strong skill with backend technologies including Python & Redis (or equivalent DB)
- Deep experience with RESTful API development
- Experience using common IDEs (Pycharm, VSCode, or equivalent)
- Passion for writing clean, well-documented, and reusable code
- Experience with web standards and protocols such as HTTP, DNS, TCP/IP, socket APIs, etc.
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices and best practices for the full software development life cycle
- A deep drive for optimization and performance analytics
- A Bachelor's Degree or comparable work experience
We ask that all applicants create a Canvas profile as part of our application process. This will allow us to learn more about you, as well as give you a chance to interact with our product!
We’d love to set you up for success and are offering resources emphasizing your personal well being!
- Medical, dental, vision insurance: 99% coverage for you and your dependents
- 401(k) plan and we match 3% of your salary (regardless if you contribute or not)
- unlimited paid-time off
- flexible parental leave
- $500 work from home stipend
- $75/week reimbursement for your meals or groceries
- quarterly wellness days off with a $125 quarterly wellness stipend