Canopy is building a private recommendation architecture that will change the Internet for good. Headquartered in Brooklyn, NY, Canopy’s technology delivers great recommendations while giving people control of their data through on-device machine learning and differential privacy.
The first iteration of our technology will be a new consumer app to help people discover the sights, sounds and stories that inspire their lives, all while protecting their data and privacy. Unlike many popular news and content apps, we want to connect people to the best parts of the internet every day, without compromising their identity.
We are looking for a Marketing Director to join our growing team. This is a core leadership position reporting to the head of marketing and communications, and is critical to Canopy’s success. This position will be responsible for building and executing a full-funnel marketing strategy across the customer journey to ensure we ethically achieve our growth targets. The scope of this role includes go-to-market strategy, brand, performance, content, social, and product marketing. Candidates for this role should be able to take complex, open-ended goals and prioritize, develop, and execute on clear implementation strategies with great ease.
A key differentiator in this role—and marketing at Canopy overall—is our commitment to protecting our customers’ data and privacy. This presents some interesting challenges (read: opportunities!) in how the company approaches the use of traditional marketing channels to acquire new customers. We are looking for a leader with a strong understanding of these existing channels who can take that knowledge and rethink how we reach our potential customers—without compromising their privacy.
As Marketing Director for Canopy, your responsibilities will include:
- Building a best-in-class marketing team for Canopy
- Own strategy and roadmap for go-to-market launch(es), engagement and retention campaigns (product marketing) to achieve quarterly targets (including app downloads, MAU, DAU).
- Partner with product and design teams to build performative acquisition flows across channels, devices, and platforms
- Monitor campaign performance, rapidly iterate and improve
- Craft Canopy’s consumer personas, value proposition, positioning, and key messages
- Bring Canopy brand to life (in partnership with agency)
We’d love to hear from you if you:
- 6+ years marketing experience
- Have a solid understanding of existing acquisition channels, with an appetite to rethink how they are used to ethically drive growth (not compromising customer data)
- Have proven ability building, developing, organizing, and managing teams
- Have demonstrable experience driving growth and engagement for new and existing products (particularly mobile apps) across channels
- Have experience in content marketing and SEO
- Have a passion for storytelling, with excellent communication skills
- Are a performance-oriented self-starter
- Enjoy a fast paced startup environment
- Are a mission-driven marketer, and want to help change the future of the internet.
We have big dreams, and we won’t reach them without a diverse team. Canopy is not just committed to changing the way the world thinks about privacy, but to pushing our industry to become more diverse and inclusive and to address issues of fairness and bias in all that it builds. We value applicants who are people of color, women, gay, trans, gender non-conforming and gender fluid people. If this is you and you want to have an impact on the issues we care about, your voice will be warmly welcomed at Canopy.
Canopy provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants. In keeping with our beliefs and goals, Canopy is committed to a policy where no employee or applicant will face discrimination/harassment based on race, color, creed, religion, age, sex, pregnancy or childbirth (or related medical condition), sexual orientation, partnership status, gender identity or expression, marital, parental or familial status, caregiver status, national origin, ethnicity, alienage or citizenship status, veteran status, disability status or any other legally protected basis. We also strive to prevent other, more subtle forms of inappropriate behavior, such as stereotyping.