Canonical is building a comprehensive automation suite to deliver a multi-cloud and on-premise data solution for the enterprise, which spans the full range of data stores and data technologies from big data, with Yugabyte, Spark and Kafka, through NoSQL and cache-layer capabilities like Redis, MongoDB and Opensearch, all the way to structured SQL engines like PostgreSQL and MySQL.
This is an exceptional opportunity for an experienced software engineer passionate about delivering high quality, reliable and automated infrastructure based on open source software running on Kubernetes, the public cloud and bare-metal. We are facing the challenge of fault-tolerant mission critical distributed systems and intend to deliver the world's best automation solution for delivering data platforms.
Experience using data platform tools is desirable, but not over hands-on experience installing, configuring and operating such technologies.
Applicants should be passionate about the future of the software defined datacenter, automation, distributed systems, and open source. Canonical is a globally distributed team of engineers who share that passion. Engineers who thrive at Canonical are mindful of open source community dynamics, and equally aware of the needs of large, innovative organizations.
What you’ll do
- Collaborate proactively with a distributed team
- Write high quality, idiomatic Python code to create new features
- Debug issues and interact with upstream communities, in the open
- Work with helpful and talented engineers including experts in many fields
- Discuss ideas and collaborate on finding good solutions
- Work from home with global travel 2 to 4 weeks for internal and external events
Who you are
- You love technology and working with brilliant people
- You have a Bachelor’s or equivalent in Computer Science, STEM or similar degree
- You are experienced with Linux systems administration, package management, and operations
- You have hands-on experience with at least one public cloud and experience with private cloud solutions like OpenStack
- You are experienced with Kubernetes and believe it can be used for serious persistent data services
- You are an accomplished Python programmer that enjoys challenging projects in mission-critical environments
- You have experience operating and managing data platform technologies like PostgreSQL, MySQL, MongoDB, Opensearch, Kafka, Yugabyte
Canonical is proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We truly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better platform for our users and customers. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of the world of Ubuntu.