Canonical's legal team is looking for a lawyer to join the team!
The role is offered either on a remote basis (EMEA time zone required) or office based in London. Predominantly dealing with US and English law agreements.
Canonical is a growing international software company that works with the open-source community to deliver Ubuntu, “the world’s best free software platform”. Our mission is to realise the potential of free software in the lives of individuals and organisations. Our services are helping individuals and businesses worldwide to reduce costs, improve efficiency and enhance security with Ubuntu.
Canonical Group Limited is looking for an experienced and enthusiastic lawyer to join its legal team. The lawyer will work with legal counsel both in the UK and USA to carry out a number of activities, including reviewing and negotiating legal agreements.
This is an excellent opportunity for the successful candidate to have exposure to a variety of commercial contracts, customers and jurisdictions, working in an exciting and dynamic technology company. The ideal candidate must be able to demonstrate good commercial acumen as well as being organised and efficient and providing high quality legal and commercial advice and assistance.
What you will be doing
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating commercial contract documentation, including complex master services agreements with customers all over the world.
- Having a broad understanding of legal issues relating to commercial contracts, property and employment matters.
- Coordinating and communicating with legal counsel, senior management, operating managers, and key functional groups, and interfacing with the Ubuntu Community, as appropriate.
- Carrying out legal research and independent working. The ability to manage your own workload and to assist legal colleagues.
- Being hands on and willing to support the legal group in process development and presentations etc.
Skills & Experience
- JD and active license to practice law
- 5+ years of in-house or practical private practice experience
- Able to work in a fast-paced, multi-cultural environment operating in the open source software arena, with worldwide engagement and under tight deadlines and still contribute thoughtful and high-quality output
- Strong organisational and prioritisation skills, including the ability to coordinate projects. Able to take end-to-end responsibility.
- Good computer skills
- Must be both an independent worker and a strong team player, very flexible, enthusiastic, friendly and approachable
- Good written and spoken English communication skills
- Intellectually curious and confident. Comfortable with own areas of expertise and happy to learn more and be stretched
- Ideally would have a strong understanding of, belief in and commitment to free and open source software, free culture movements, and associated philosophies
Nice to have
- Technical experience preferred, including experience of open source software.
- Experience in some or all of the following areas of law: corporate, commercial, intellectual property.
- Previous experience of working in an in-house office environment, whether permanently or on secondment basis is preferable, albeit not required.
- Private practice law firm experience would be a plus
What we offer
- Learning and Development
- Annual Compensation Review
- Recognition Rewards
- Annual Leave
- Priority Pass for travel
- Flexible working option
Canonical believes a diverse workforce enhances our ability to deliver world class software and services which meet the world’s computing needs. We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.