We are hiring an Engineering Director to lead multiple distributed teams of exceptional back-end Golang and Python developers, to build the machinery which delivers apps, updates and images to millions of users and devices running Ubuntu on desktop, IoT, and cloud.
In this senior role, you will manage and mentor multiple engineering managers and developers, shaping roadmaps, assessing and improving skills, driving quality and maintaining security across dozens of interconnected services. You will also engage with other teams in Canonical as well as with customers to ensure consistency across architectures, requirements and priorities.
As an engineering director at Canonical you own both the product and the team, and are entrusted to ensure that they continually improve, deliver on roadmap commitments, balance development with production operations, and keep a healthy and collaborative dynamic within the team and across other teams within Canonical. You will influence culture, facilitate technical delivery, and work with your teams on strategy and execution.
We develop and operate high-traffic mission critical web services, and expect engineering leaders to be fluent in the language, architecture and components that their team uses. Technical review and architectural leadership are part of the job. As an engineering director, the commitment to healthy engineering practices, documentation, quality and performance optimisation are equally important technical responsibilities, as is the requirement for fair and clear management, and the obligation to ensure a high performing team.
- Provide senior engineering leadership to guide the design, development and operational efficiency of a collection of interrelated services
- Develop talent through coaching, mentoring, feedback, and hands-on career development
- Demonstrate sound engineering principles and directly contribute toward your team's goals
- Set and manage expectations with other engineering teams, management, and external stakeholders
- Lead modern, agile software development practices
- Ensure a healthy, collaborative engineering culture in line with the company values
- Be an active part of the leadership team and collaborate with other leaders in the organisation
- Engage with many other teams at Canonical, as well as the open source community and commercial partners
- Work from home with global travel twice yearly for 2 weeks at a time for company events
Valued skills and experience
- Prior management roles leading globally distributed engineering teams
- Experience with large scale production web services development and operations
- You love to mentor, develop and grow people, and have a track record of doing it
- You are focused on success and the delivery of timely, high quality software
- You have experience and commitment to agile development methodologies
- You have a Bachelor’s or equivalent in Computer Science, STEM or similar degree
- Software development experience in Python or Golang
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Practical experience with Linux system administration
What Canonical offers:
- Personal learning and development budget
- Annual compensation review
- Recognition rewards
- Annual leave
- Priority Pass for travel
Canonical is a growing international software company that works with the open-source community to deliver Ubuntu, the world’s best free software platform. Our services help businesses worldwide reduce costs, improve efficiency and enhance security with Ubuntu.
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and background create a better work environment and better products. Whatever your identity we will give your application fair consideration.