We are building a new team to focus on the .NET ecosystem on Ubuntu. They will deliver the best possible .NET runtimes and supporting tooling in Ubuntu, and enable Ubuntu users access to the wider .NET ecosystem. Our goal is to enable mission-critical .NET applications to be deployed and operated safely, securely and efficiently on large-scale Ubuntu estates. We are also keen to ensure that the cutting edge of Jav.NET innovation is available to Ubuntu users, to lay the foundation for future inventions and open source communities.
This is an exciting opportunity for a software engineer passionate about open source software, Linux systems and software architectures and Microsoft .NET technology. Come build a rewarding, meaningful career working with the best and brightest people in technology at Canonical, a growing international software company and make Ubuntu the best operating system to develop and run your .NET applications in the cloud, in datacenters, in containers, directly on the operating system, and anywhere .NET and Ubuntu can run.
The .NET ecosystem has for a long time had a place in the Linux world thanks to projects like Mono. With the advent of .NET Core, and now .NET 5 and 6, the .NET ecosystem as a whole has embraced Linux, with an emphasis on fast, scalable and reliable containerised applications. We intend for Ubuntu to excel as an operating system for developing and running .NET applications on Linux in a secure, reliable, performant and future-proof fashion. We build on the technical excellence of Debian and bring additional focus and shape to the solutions we offer. Applicants will be passionate about the future of .NET, of Ubuntu, mindful of the dynamics of the open-source ecosystem, and equally aware of the needs of large but innovative organisations.
As part of the Ubuntu Foundations team, you will work on the architecture, design and development of core components of the Ubuntu Distribution related to the .NET Framework for Linux, and associated development and operations tooling. You will be discussing designs with other team members and product managers, mentoring other engineers and participating in technical reviews. You will also work with other teams to ensure architectural decisions and improve the overall performance and experience of Ubuntu. As a member of the Ubuntu Foundations team, your work will have an impact on every aspect of the Ubuntu ecosystem from Desktop, Server, Ubuntu Core and cloud images. And you will work closely with many other teams as well as outsider partners to ensure .NET in Ubuntu containers, servers, clouds is the best .NET there is.
We believe that developers working with .NET all around the world should have a Linux operating system that makes their job easy and pleasant. Come join us and let’s make this happen!
What you’ll do
- Collaborate proactively with a distributed team
- Work with highly technical and invested product managers to define and shape the roadmap of .NET and tooling in Ubuntu
- Select, integrate and package best-of-breed tooling with Ubuntu to improve developer and operator experience for .NET
- Write high quality code to create new features
- Debug issues and produce high quality code to fix them
- Review code produced by other engineers
- Discuss ideas and collaborate on finding good solutions
- Work from home with global travel 2 to 4 weeks a year for internal and external events
Who you are
- You love technology and working with brilliant people
- You are passionate, curious, flexible, articulate, and accountable
- You are a long-time Linux user
- You have experience or are interested in learning how to package software for Debian and Ubuntu
- You have professional .NET experience, ideally in the world of cloud-native software, including direct experience with .NET applications building through the CLI and through automated pipelines, and have some knowledge of .NET internals
- You have a Bachelor’s or equivalent in Computer Science, STEM or similar degree
- You value soft skills and are passionate, enterprising, thoughtful, and self-motivated
What Canonical Offers:
- Learning and development
- Annual compensation review
- Recognition rewards
- Annual leave
- Priority Pass for travel
What is Canonical?
Canonical is a growing international software company that works with the open-source community to deliver Ubuntu, “the world’s best free software platform”. Our mission is to realise the potential of free software in the lives of individuals and organisations. Our services are helping individuals and businesses worldwide to reduce costs, improve efficiency and enhance security with Ubuntu.
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and background create a better work environment and better products. Whatever your identity, we will give your application fair consideration.