We are excited to create the role of Desktop Gaming Product Manager, to make Ubuntu the best Linux desktop for gaming. We work with partners in the silicon world to ensure the latest graphics drivers and tweaks are built-in for optimal frame rates and latency, as well as with partners in the gaming industry to ensure that mechanisms such as anti-cheat capabilities are available to ensure fairness and product availability.
If you have a passion for technology and business, experience in open source software engineering, the Linux desktop, developer tooling, and of course gaming, then you will love being part of our team.
This role leads the product and go-to-market for gaming on Ubuntu Desktop. You will define product strategy as well as drive engagement and adoption. The role requires an analytical storyteller with a strong sense of message and a deep understanding of Linux graphics, gaming, and desktop technologies and communities. We prefer university-graduated professionals with software engineering and software engineering management experience who want to become business executives and entrepreneurs.
This is an exceptional opportunity for a competitive technology leader to:
- lead desktop graphics choices in Ubuntu
- drive partnerships in the graphics silicon, desktop, and gaming spheres
- tell the story of Ubuntu for gamers
- lead engineering design and development
What you will be doing
- Be part of a rapidly growing team of multi-talented individuals with a strong focus on building great products
- Work with Canonical’s desktop engineering teams to ensure great integration across Canonical’s product portfolio
- Analyse market trends, define product goals, themes and features, maintain the product backlog, and solicit input from stakeholders
- Shape the message for gaming on Ubuntu
- Create effective Marketing content to engage and entice sophisticated technical and consumer enthusiast audiences
- Be accountable for the product roadmap, go-to-market execution, sales collateral, case studies, training, blog posts and community outreach
What you bring to the team
- Hands-on experience in Linux and gaming tech stacks
- A curious and analytical mindset
- A technical or science background
- At least 3 years of software engineering experience
- Experience in open source project and community leadership
- Business and commercial interests
- Proven leadership and presentation skills
- Personal interests aligned with the field
- Awareness of Ubuntu and Canonical’s competition and opportunities
- Track record of data-driven decision-making
- Proven ability to write about technology and the tech landscape
Canonical is a growing, international software company that works with the open-source community to deliver Ubuntu -- the world’s #1 cloud operating system. Our mission is to realise the potential of free software in the lives of individuals and organisations. Our services are helping businesses worldwide to reduce costs, improve efficiency and enhance security with Ubuntu. Canonical is a unique tech company - global, remote-first, open source, with 700 professionals across 50 countries - we want to be the world’s best, not biggest, global software company. With almost every team remote by default, Canonical sets the pace on the 21st-century digital workplace.
What Canonical offers:
- Work from home
- Learning and development allowances
- Competitive Salary
- Annual compensation review
- Recognition rewards
- Generous annual leave
- Paid maternity, paternity and sick leave
- Priority Pass for travel
- Exposure to international business and technology
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and background create a better work environment and better products. Whatever your identity we will give your application fair consideration.