The role of a Manager, Enterprise Project Management at Canonical
Canonical Ubuntu is the world's leading open source platform for cloud, IoT devices, and developers. As a manager of the Enterprise Project Management team you will lead a regional team of project managers ensuring delivery of a wide range of projects - the delivery of complex private cloud or other distributed systems built on Ubuntu, or internal projects at Canonical. Our Project Management practice is a central capability reporting to the Director of Project Management, and further to the COO.
We look for customer facing team players to drive projects and navigate complex engineering constraints. As a Manager you will drive a team of highly skilled project and programme managers across the Americas, provide active leadership across all aspects of IT and Software Management project delivery, and ensure consistent use of our project management methodology.
You will serve as the first customer escalation point on critical projects, lead your team of Project Managers and manage integration activities across the organisation. You will act as a trusted adviser to company leadership, collaborating with stakeholders to enable customer success while also acting as a system of control to the business.
You will assist the Project Management Director with resource allocation, problem solving and continuous improvement, as well as drive governance around the total investment for projects in support of business initiatives. You will anticipate and solve problems working with internal business partners, external partners and customers.
Location: This role will be based remotely in the Americas region.
What your day will look like
- Lead the Americas Enterprise Project Management team
- Contribute to the success of our sales team in winning new opportunities
- Promote industry-recognised, best-in-class project management standards
- Lead the evaluation of programme and project management tools, systems and processes
- Drive continuous improvement and implementation of best practices
- Establish KPIs for project status reporting across Canonical
- Collaborate with cross-team leads to address common challenges across projects
- Drive execution excellence through continuous feedback and improvement
- Review customer feedback and participate in customer meetings
- Contribute to the development of strategies to create and maintain high performing teams
- Develop your team through coaching, mentoring and training
What we are looking for in you
- Experience in managing diverse, remote project teams
- Experience with cross-cultural and multi-continent projects
- Experience in hiring and managing teams and their performance
- SW Engineering and IT Project Management Experience
- Adept at making things happen while managing risks successfully
- Experience in building collaborative internal and external partnerships
- Solid commercial skills ; experience in dealing with RFP process and contract creation
- Effective negotiator, comfortable in a customer facing pre-sales role for complex projects
- Degree level education in Computer Science or STEM field, ideally also an MBA or similar qualification
- Able to travel 6-8 weeks a year, up to two weeks at a time, sometimes internationally
- Flexibility to work non-standard hours when required, in support of a worldwide sales and project team
Additional skills that you might also bring
- PMP, Agile, or PRINCE2 practitioner certification
- Experience with Linux/UNIX technology components (Support, Development, Implementation).
- Familiarity with a wide range of technology such as embedded device/IoT software development,
- Familiarity with IT data center architectures, server architectures, cloud technology, OpenStack and
- Familiarity with FIPS or Common Criteria Certifications
What we offer you
Your base pay will depend on various factors including your geographical location, level of experience, knowledge and skills. In addition to the benefits above, certain roles are also eligible for additional benefits and rewards including annual bonuses and sales incentives based on revenue or utilisation. Our compensation philosophy is to ensure equity right across our global workforce.
In addition to a competitive base pay, we provide all team members with additional benefits, which reflect our values and ideals. Please note that additional benefits may apply depending on the work location and, for more information on these, you can ask in the later stages of the recruitment process.
- Fully remote working environment - we’ve been working remotely since 2004!
- Personal learning and development budget of 2,000USD per annum
- Annual compensation review
- Recognition rewards
- Annual holiday leave
- Parental Leave
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Opportunity to travel to new locations to meet colleagues at ‘sprints’
- Priority Pass for travel and travel upgrades for long haul company events
Canonical is a pioneering tech firm that is at the forefront of the global move to open source. As the company that publishes Ubuntu, one of the most important open source projects and the platform for AI, IoT and the cloud, we are changing the world on a daily basis. We recruit on a global basis and set a very high standard for people joining the company. We expect excellence - in order to succeed, we need to be the best at what we do.
Canonical has been a remote-first company since its inception in 2004. Work at Canonical is a step into the future, and will challenge you to think differently, work smarter, learn new skills, and raise your game. Canonical provides a unique window into the world of 21st-century digital business.
Canonical is an equal opportunity employer
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and background create a better work environment and better products. Whatever your identity, we will give your application fair consideration.