This is an opportunity for an entry level technologist with a passion for Linux and Customer Success to build a career with Canonical and support the technical needs of customers and Canonical staff. If you have a passion for technology and an eagerness to learn, then you will enjoy working with some of the best people in the industry at Canonical.
You will be working most of your weeks days from our Canonical Austin Office and will be accountable for delivering an outstanding technical support experience to our employees and customers. From problem qualification to full resolution, you will own and manage your cases. When needed, you will transfer your cases to your colleagues or involve senior engineers.
Your day to day job is to provide technical expertise, be an excellent communicator and a service-oriented professional. Every day you will have to make judgement calls to prioritise customer issues and maximise your effectiveness. You will also need to set time aside to learn about our new products and technologies and evolve as a professional. You will participate in various training sessions, team gatherings and Company events.
Key areas of accountability and responsibility
Your day to day duties will include:
- Work from the Austin, Texas office and provide technical support for employees.
- Provide technical onboarding support for new employees.
- Provide information security training for new employees.
- Provide technical and infrastructure support during international events.
- Provide and maintain security monitoring for employees.
- Be available to take ownership of new cases via telephone, email and web
- Act as an internal customer advocate keeping them updated in a timely manner
- Ensure that each support request owned by you is handled as per our Service Level Agreement (SLA) and to the highest possible customer satisfaction by setting the right expectations and fulfilling your commitments
- Contribute your findings to a common knowledge base and keep it up to date
- Draft and distribute technical notices for internal and external communication.
- Prioritise your work in order to accomplish the most important and urgent tasks first
- Keep on learning as our products and services grow and evolve
- Maintain regular communication and information exchange with the rest of the team, locally and remotely
- Identify and suggest any opportunities to provide a better service
Required skills and expertise
- Bachelors or equivalent four year degree in a technical field from an accredited college or university. Preferable majors: Computer Science, MIS, Electrical Engineering, etc.
- Experience in a Linux based environment gained through university subjects or work experience
- Linux knowledge including the installation, troubleshooting and basic configuration of recent Ubuntu Desktop releases
- Basic desktop Linux usage (desktop tools for editing files, browsing the Web, managing Internet connectivity, setup of printers/services/packages/external storage devices/etc. utilising command line tools for exploring and manipulating the file system)
- Basic troubleshooting (collecting logs, basic fine-tuning by editing configuration files)
- Familiarity with safely installing, uninstalling, reinstalling and repartitioning machines with multiple operating systems and troubleshooting to recover broken installations
- Understanding of Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Applications and Single Sign-On.
- Ability to learn quickly, thrive on change and handle the pressure of a customer facing job
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills
Useful additional experience
- Basic troubleshooting of Mac and Windows operating systems.
- Experience supporting virtualized environments (KVM, OpenStack, Virtual Box, VMWare)
- Experience with containers (LXD/LXC, Docker, Kubernetes)
- Experience with network troubleshooting
- Customer support experience
- Possibility of international travel, up to 4 weeks per year.
- Daytime working hours
- Time off for conferences
- Talent development program
- Initial mentoring to bring up to speed on needed technologies
- Additional mentoring opportunities with some of the best in Linux, OpenStack and more.
- Study time and expenses for obtaining relevant certifications.
Canonical is an equal opportunity employer. Canonical believes a diverse workforce enhances our ability to deliver world class software and services which meet the world’s computing needs. We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.