This is an exciting opportunity for a technical leader passionate about open source observability software in the cloud and in the enterprise.
As the leader of the observability team, you’ll be responsible for designing and maintaining a series of open source products that enable Canonical’s customers and the broader community to consume our best of breed observability stack. This role is for a proven technical leader who has deep experience with LMA systems and isn’t afraid to make opinionated choices to enable operators and developers to better introspect live systems. Use your operational and software engineering knowledge to enable the next generation of open source devops to be consumed easily and reliably.
As an engineering manager at Canonical your primary responsibility is to your team: helping them grow as engineers, do important and satisfying work, and have a great time while doing it. Technical leadership experience and a background in software engineering are necessary prerequisites for this role. You will be expected to lead, challenge, and develop strong engineers, positively influence the culture, facilitate technical delivery, and work with your team on strategy and execution.
Come and build a rewarding, meaningful career working with the best and brightest people in technology at Canonical, the growing international software company behind Ubuntu.
What you’ll do
- Lead engineers to ship products based on open source LMA/observability software both in private and public cloud infrastructure.
- You will build and manage a globally distributed team of engineers through hiring, coaching, mentoring, feedback and hands-on career development
- You will demonstrate sound engineering principles by directly contributing toward your team’s goals
- Support timely delivery of technical solutions to address business needs
- Effectively set and manage expectations with other engineering teams, senior management, and external stakeholders
- Advocate and advance modern, agile software development practices and help develop and evangelize great engineering and organizational practices
- Ensure that your team delivers great products that users love by maintaining a culture of quality and engineering excellence
- Grow a healthy, collaborative engineering culture in line with the company values
- Be an active part of the leadership team and collaborate with other leaders in the organisation
- Work from home with global travel up to 20% for internal and external events
Who you are
- You have knowledge of and interest in software that enables observability of systems broadly, and know the multiplier effect this can have on operations and devops teams
- You have a software engineering background, preferably with Python experience
- You love scalable systems and enjoy working on teams that do as well
- You have a bachelor's degree in a technical field or equivalent
- You love embracing new technologies and pushing the boundaries of what is possible, with a view to building products that improve how people operate software and infrastructure everywhere
- You love developing and growing people and have a track record of doing it
- You have experience in leading, managing, coaching and mentoring software developers towards delivering timely, high quality software together with them
- You have solid experience working in an agile development environment
Canonical is proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We truly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better platform for our users and customers. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of the world of Ubuntu.