What is Canonical?
Canonical is a growing international software company that works with the open-source community to deliver Ubuntu, “the world’s best free software platform”. Our mission is to realise the potential of free software in the lives of individuals and organisations. Our services are helping individuals and businesses worldwide to reduce costs, improve efficiency and enhance security with Ubuntu.
Software Engineer - LXD
This is an exciting opportunity for a software engineer passionate about open source software, Linux, containers and virtualization. Come build a rewarding, meaningful career working with the best and brightest people in technology at Canonical, a growing international software company.
The LXD team is responsible for the development and maintenance of the container and virtual-machine manager itself (LXD), the low-level container manager (LXC), virtual filesystem for containers (LXCFS), the sqlite and raft based database behind LXD (dqlite) as well as a variety of features in the Linux kernel.
The focus of this role is on LXD scalability with a focus on integrating with deployment and datacenter management tooling like Juju and MAAS. This will also cover the optimal configuration and integration with authentication systems and logging, monitoring and auditing stacks.
What you’ll do
- Collaborate proactively with a distributed team
- Discuss ideas and collaborate on finding good solutions
- Develop, extend and maintain Juju charms to deploy large scale LXD clusters
- Identify and prioritize deeper integration points between LXD and the other services used in a datacenter environment
- Test, document and validate recommended operational practices (upgrade handling, server maintenance, disaster recovery, …)
- Maintain the test and validation infrastructure
- Ensure all components are deployed following best security practices.
- Work from home with global travel 2 to 4 weeks for internal and external events
Who you are
- You love technology and working with brilliant people
- You are curious, flexible, articulate, and accountable
- You value soft skills and are passionate, enterprising, thoughtful, and self-motivated
- You have a Bachelor’s or equivalent in Computer Science, STEM or similar degree
- You have strong devops experience, ideally including containers, virtualization, database, clustering and security
- You have experience with modern configuration management and deployment tools
- You have interest and experience with two or more of the following: storage (CEPH, DRBD, ZFS, bcache, ...), networking (OVS, OVN, netplan, haproxy, …), distributed systems, cloud platforms (AWS, Azure, GCP, Oracle), python scripting or shell scripting
Canonical is proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We truly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better platform for our users and customers. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of the world of Ubuntu.