This role is an opportunity for a technologist with a passion for Linux and storage solutions to build a career with Canonical and drive the success with those leveraging Ubuntu and open source products. If you have an affinity for open source development, great communication skills, and a passion for technology, then you will enjoy working with some of the best people in the industry at Canonical.
A Software Engineer, Ceph & Storage in the Sustaining Engineering Group is key for the success of our enterprise customers, partners and Ubuntu projects.
You will help with troubleshooting and driving customer bugs to resolution by providing workarounds, guidance, and designing fixes to be released in Ubuntu and its supporting software packages.
Your role will primarily provide sustaining engineering support for storage products as well as integration and orchestration for Cloud and the Ubuntu platform.
As a Software Engineer, Ceph & Storage you will:
- Resolve complex customer problems related to distributed storage as well as general OpenStack, Kubernetes or Ubuntu Server issues
- Maintain a close working relationship with Canonical's support teams, account managers and Ubuntu Platform Engineering
- Analyse and participate in upstream development against current customer reported defects, backport patches, develop patches and work with upstream for inclusion
- Demonstrate considerable judgement in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions
- Manage workload to ensure that all customer issues are all timely handled and driven to resolution, acting as a generalist when necessary
- Participate in team discussions to improve processes, tools, and documentation within the Sustaining Engineering team
- Maintain clear, technical and concise bug documentation
- Be able to travel internationally up to 10% of work time for team meetings, events and conferences
The successful Software Engineer, Ceph & Storage will have:
- A minimum of 5+ years or equivalent experience as a software engineer is required
- Bachelor’s or equivalent in Computer Science, STEM or similar degree is preferred
- Strong experience with Ceph object storage and architecture
- Experience with OpenStack and/or other Cloud technologies
- Strong development-level experience with C, C++ and Python on Linux. Able to troubleshoot with gdb and other tools. Able to provide patches and maintain team or personal branches in git
- Prefer upstream involvement in Open Source projects (patches submitted for inclusion)
Canonical is a growing, international software company that works with the open-source community to deliver Ubuntu -- the world’s #1 cloud operating system. Our mission is to realize the potential of free software in the lives of individuals and organisations. Our services are helping businesses worldwide to reduce costs, improve efficiency and enhance security with Ubuntu.
- Learning and Development
- Annual Compensation Review
- Recognition Rewards
- Annual Leave
- Priority Pass for travel
- Flexible working option
Canonical believes a diverse workforce enhances our ability to deliver world class software and services which meet the world’s computing needs. We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
#LI-Remote #Stack #LI-ET1 #stack