As the Engineering Director of Performance at Canonical, you have a key role in the success of Ubuntu, our partners, customers, and the larger Ubuntu community. Your role will cover the whole product engineering organization, contributing at both high and detailed levels to help teams enhance the performance of their products. Applicants to this role should have a proven track record of engineering management, leadership, excellence, and consistency in multiple areas, projects, or teams.
In this role you will bring your expertise in performance optimization to bear on all of Canonical’s software products, across the entire engineering organization. You will consult with engineering managers and teams to establish consistency in how software performance is observed and measured, to identify opportunities for performance improvement, and to offer implementation guidance where possible.
We want to push the boundaries of performance and we want you to lead that initiative. The ideal candidate will have significant experience in performance engineering, will have a history of data-driven decision-making, will be an articulate communicator, will be comfortable summarizing and presenting plans and results to management, and will have prior experience leading successful projects and teams.
What you’ll do
- Collaborate proactively with multiple distributed teams
- Help engineering teams establish and achieve software performance goals
- Establish consistency in of performance measurement, observation, and tooling approaches across engineering teams and products
- Contribute code to streamline performance and remove bottlenecks
- Evaluate the performance rigor of engineering teams
- Write specifications and understand performance trade-offs and risks
- Work to reduce complexity
- Influence others and represent technical insight to customers and other engineers
- Help debug performance issues and produce high quality code to fix them
- Provide code reviews for performance-related patches
- Spend a significant amount of time mentoring others and providing cross-team input
- Work from home with global travel 4 to 6 weeks for internal and external events
Who you are
- You have a long history of performance engineering on a variety of projects
- You are able to analyse a product’s performance and recommend improvements
- You are capable of representing Canonical on software performance externally
- You have experience leading successful projects and teams
- You have engineering management experience
- You are an articulate communicator
- You love technology and working with brilliant people
- You follow industry trends and new technologies
- You understand and value how you do what you do, as well as what you do
- You have strong collaboration and influencing skills
- You are curious, flexible, articulate, and accountable
- You value soft skills and are passionate, enterprising, thoughtful, and self-motivated
- You have a Bachelor’s or equivalent in Computer Science, STEM or similar degree
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We truly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better platform for our users and customers. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of the world of Ubuntu.