An engineering director-level role to drive technical engagements with one of the major public clouds, such as AWS, Azure, Google, IBM or Oracle. Our alliances are engineering-centric, with direct relationships between engineering teams to integrate and optimise Ubuntu and related offerings on these public clouds.
This unique role requires engineering management experience together with commercial awareness. This is not a sales or business development role, it does require judgement about commercial priority and sensitivity to the strategy of both parties in the relationship.
The successful candidate will be a technical, detail-oriented and articulate engineering director, working directly with product managers, engineering managers and designers on both Canonical and the public cloud partner sides. Your mission is to design and drive delivery of distinctive products that enable our users to do build safe, robust cloud-based applications.
You will enjoy this role if:
- you are interested in public cloud ecosystems and technology,
- you understand complex engineering projects and can work across teams,
- you are business oriented and commercially minded,
- you are familiar with open source and free software,
- you appreciate tasteful commercial products alongside community offerings.
The role entails:
- maintaining a joint roadmap covering all activities with a specific public cloud platform
- leading the definition of each product being developed for that public cloud platform
- engaging Canonical engineering teams to refine plans and ensure delivery
- understanding the overall market and competitors
- engaging with ecosystem partners
- acting as product champion and primary contact for product questions and press engagements
- shaping market messaging, collateral and launch plans
Required skills and experience:
- hands-on familiarity with Linux and public cloud
- excellent communications skills, both verbal and written
- university degree in engineering, software, computer science, mathematics or other sciences
- the self-discipline and self-motivation to work effectively in a pure remote environment
- experience in engineering management
- customer-facing experience