What is Canonical?
Life at Canonical is anything but corporate. As a company that exists to support Ubuntu, one of today’s most important open source projects, we are changing the world on a daily basis. It’s a collaborative environment, but one in which every member of the team takes personal responsibility for everything they produce.
Canonical has been a remote first company since its inception in 2004. We require an HR function that is global in thinking while lean in execution - we have employees and contractors in more than 40 countries, despite employing fewer than 1,000 people. Canonical provides a unique window into the world of 21st-century digital business.
You will act as a global partner to key members of our senior leadership team (the largest being our technical operations VP). You will provide local expertise to a global team and have strong experience advising on HR issues across the whole employee life-cycle. You will join an energetic team of HR professionals handling all aspects of the HR spectrum across multiple teams and geographies. You will have an analytical bias, a keen eye for detail and the ability to interpret data trends and themes using a logical and methodical approach.
This role is likely to be home-based out of the UK (applications from within EMEA will be considered). We also have an office in London if you have a preference for office-based working.
- Use your energy, HR expertise and business acumen to establish a trusted partnership with a diverse set of business leaders.
- Be accountable for creating and driving the people strategy for your areas of responsibility.
- Drive diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives throughout the company.
- Have accountability for completing talent planning, succession, assessments and similar processes that drive a high performing team.
- Work with senior managers across the business in areas such as performance management, organisational design, employee engagement and workforce planning
- Coach and advise managers on the full spectrum of employee relations issues across multiple Countries.
- Deliver precise, compliant, HR operations in a timely manner and with the highest degree of accuracy.
- Partner with managers to support the delivery of appropriate training and development programs
- Deliver on business-critical HR related projects globally
- Present at Canonical events to articulate Canonical’s HR practices
Required Skills and Experience
- Degree Qualified & CIPD certified (or equivalent)
- Experience working in a multicultural environment, preferable within the technology sector
- Demonstrated experience of international strategic and operational partnership at a senior level
- Canonical is a very data driven organisation, you should be able to use data to make informed decisions
- Deep knowledge and practical application of HR practices and employment law
- Able to prioritise workload, manage time effectively and able to work under pressure
- Self motivated, organised, confident, results-orientated with a positive outlook and a clear focus on accuracy
- Able to work in a globally distributed environment
- Fluent in business English (written and spoken) essential
Canonical is an equal opportunity employer
Canonical believes a diverse workforce enhances our ability to deliver world class software and services which meet the world’s computing needs. We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.