Life at Canonical is anything but corporate. As a company that exists to support Ubuntu, one of today’s most important open source projects, we are changing the world on a daily basis. It’s a collaborative environment, but one in which every member of the team takes personal responsibility for everything they produce.
Canonical provides a unique window into the world of 21st-century digital business. We work with smart individuals from a wide range of professional backgrounds in more than 40 countries worldwide, bringing together distinct and diverse perspectives to contribute to the advancement of state-of-the-art technical infrastructure.
Canonical has been a remote first company since its inception in 2004. We require an HR operation that is global in thinking while lean in execution - we have employees and contractors in more than 40 countries despite employing fewer than 1,000 people. Our HR operations depend on the precise application of policy and process as well as depth of compliance expertise, as an efficient and friendly, real-time service.
Although you will be based from home in the United States or Canada, this is a global role supporting HR initiatives, employees and managers in multiple regions. You will be a key support for the HR team and will partner with the HR and recruitment teams in Europe, Asia, and the United States to deliver a first class HR service to the business. The HR Generalist must be able to work independently, take a hands-on approach, and interface effectively with professionals at all levels. You'll need excellent communication, professional and interpersonal skills as well as the ability to function in an innovative environment.
This role will have a strong emphasis on benefits administration. One of the first projects this person will take on is automating, where possible, the administrative side of our US & Canandian benefits.
- Provide HR guidance to team members and managers across the full life-cycle of HR including; onboarding new starters, benefit administration, process & policy and offboarding.
- Provide global benefits administration in the United States and Canada.
- Liaise with the Finance department to ensure appropriate benefits deductions are made and benefits related purchase orders are raised.
- Partner with first line managers to provide employee relations advice as well as guidance on our global policies and procedures
- Apply critical thinking to automate and reduce administrative tasks
- Take a lead role in the management, continued development, and integration of our HR System across all of our HR processes, acting as a system expert and advocate for the global HR team
- Ensure a high degree of accuracy and timeliness in processing all employee changes, new joiners, and leavers
- Take a lead role in running data driven reporting to inform and influence HR strategic initiatives
- Conduct regular compliance audits surrounding I-9s, benefits, background checks, and ad hoc audits, where necessary.
- Lead and participate in project work where you’ll truly get to see the impact of your work
- Work with the global HR team and internal resource groups to drive diversity & inclusion initiatives across the company
- Create, update and maintain country-specific handbooks and corporate policies ensuring consistency of application of our HR policies and procedures continually driving for process improvements, efficiency and automation
Skills & Experience
- SHRM, PHR, CHRP, or CHRE qualified or working towards qualification
- Good and developing knowledge and practical application of US and/or Canadian HR practices and employment laws
- Able and willing to learn in an international HR environment
- Self-directed, organized, a problem solver, with a strong sense of urgency and the ability to prioritize and meet goals and deadlines
- Build strong working relationships in a diverse, remote working environment
- Demonstrated ability to exercise discretion, sound judgment, tact and diplomacy in all communications
- Experience in the technology sector
- Experience maintaining confidentiality of assignments due to the exposure to sensitive information and contacts.
Canonical is an equal opportunity employer
Canonical believes a diverse workforce enhances our ability to deliver world class software and services which meet the world’s computing needs. We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.