System Architect - Home-based, Americas
What is Canonical?
Canonical is a growing international software company that works with the open-source community to deliver Ubuntu, “the world’s best free software platform”. Our mission is to realise the potential of free software in the lives of individuals and organisations. Our services are helping individuals and businesses worldwide to reduce costs, improve efficiency and enhance security with Ubuntu.
Do you want to change the game of how companies build IoT products? Revolutionize what embedded development means? Thanks to Snaps and Ubuntu Core, we are enabling a wide spectrum of companies to apply cloud approaches to their IoT fleets and products.
The role is a fast-paced, problem-solving role that’s challenging yet very exciting. The right candidate must be resourceful, quick-thinking, and able to deliver on a wide variety of solutions across cloud, server, desktop and IoT technologies.
Desired skills and experience
- BA/BS (or higher) degree in Computer Science or related engineering field experience
- A solid understanding of Linux plumbing and the makeup of a modern GNU/Linux distribution, Debian or Ubuntu preferred
- Comfortable with modern programming languages like Golang, Python, NodeJS, or Rust
- Experience with Docker/OCI containers/K8s
- Experience with some Linux packaging (Debian, RPM, Yocto)
- Basic understanding of Security technologies (certificates, PKI, HSMs, Secure Boot, ...) and best practices
- At ease with Git/Github source control management
- Good understanding of networking - TCP/IP, DHCP, HTTP/REST
- Ability to be productive in a globally distributed team through self-discipline and self-motivation, delivering according to a schedule.
- High motivation, ability to multi-task and follow-up reliably on commitments
- Ability to travel globally for periods of up to two weeks; overall 25% travel time
Nice to have
- Experience with industrial IoT protocols (LWM2M, MQTT, Modbus, OPC-UA, …) and wireless (LTE, BLE, Zigbee/802.11af, ...)
- Knowledge and experience with messaging architectures (DBus, SOAP, gRPC)
- Prior IoT / Embedded experience - from hardware, bootloaders and firmware to operating systems through applications and cloud services.
- A decent understanding of open source communities and licenses
An Systems Architect/Field Engineer at Canonical focuses on:
- Helping customers to engineer and develop highly secure platforms leveraging snap packaging technologies and Ubuntu Core OS
- Partnering with the sales team across pre-and post-sales activities, providing advanced technical support and consulting, based on complete knowledge of products
- Participating as technical lead on complex customer engagements involving broad, system solutions and identify and drive demand creation by maximizing Canonical’s broad portfolio of technologies
- You will help our customers integrate their apps, build device OS images, optimize applications for Ubuntu Core and Classic, deliver training, develop proof of concepts, demonstrate and present some of the most advanced operating systems and application technologies available in the enterprise world.
Join us to work on the most exciting IoT platforms and technologies and work with bright minds from all over the world.
What Canonical Offers:
- Learning and Development
- Annual Compensation Review
- Recognition Rewards
- Annual Leave
- Priority Pass for travel
- Flexible working option
Canonical believes a diverse workforce enhances our ability to deliver world class software and services which meet the world’s computing needs. We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.