Home based - Europe
Canonical is the company behind Ubuntu, the leading operating system for container, cloud and hyperscale computing. The majority of public cloud workloads and large-scale private cloud deployments are on Ubuntu. Ubuntu is also the preferred choice to develop and run applications such as AI or blockchain and leading in IoT with new smart gateways, self-driving cars and advanced robots being developed. Canonical provides enterprise products, support and services for Ubuntu.
We provide a unique window onto the world of how 21st century businesses work. As a remote-first company, the majority of our people work from home in over 40 countries around the world. Supporting them we have a number of offices that are designed to be an excellent workplace resource for the entire company, and we travel more than most companies to bring teams together on a regular basis.
We are hiring for a leadership role reporting to Executive management. In this role, you will provide a focal point for our workspaces and travel on a global scale, for both office-based and remote team members. Bringing together your interest in technology, workplace design and services, you will ensure all our places of work and our travel program provide a world class experience for our people and guests. You will deliver outstanding operations and be constantly raising the bar through facilities, systems and processes. You will adapt to support the organisation’s strategy, aspirations and values by providing professional office, travel and internal event facilities to all teams across all of Canonical’s geographies.
- Ensure we have excellent workspaces, by combining technology, physical and virtual workplace design, amenities and services, to attract talent and enhance productivity and engagement in a 21st century digital, remote-first environment
- Deliver a world class workplace experience for all our people, blending the experience of office- and home-based workers, and for guests of our offices
- Contribute to our global workplace strategy, aligning the value of physical workplace investments with our remote-first organization
- Deliver smooth, consistent, cost effective, compliant operations of all Canonical office facilities (currently 7 globally with a total office-based population of around 150)
- Lead projects and negotiations to establish new office presences, manage renewals and rent reviews, scale processes and introduce new systems to support business operations
- Manage and develop office managers, including providing hands-on cover and support as needed, to scale processes and introduce new systems, ensuring business continuity, excellent vendor management, generalist administration and productive workspace environments
- Own the “green” impact of our workplace, delivering environmentally-friendly practices that build more sustainable, efficient working practices that reduces our global impact
- Develop global duty of care, health and safety programs with comprehensive policies and practices for office- and home-based workers
- Manage our global travel program, including associated supplier relationships and project managing change programmes
Required skills and experience
- A deep interest in the remote-first, digital workplace, with demonstrable good judgement applying technology to collaboration and productivity in the work environment
- Passionate about learning from how the smartest companies work and possessing creativity and drive to create excellent workspaces.
- Qualified to degree level, with solid academic standing. Ideally with membership of a relevant professional body or equivalent professional qualification.
- Track record providing excellent travel services and workspace management in a leadership role
- Deep understanding of working in a global, multicultural organisation, ideally gained in a highly remote environment
- Experience managing a team of direct reports remotely in different time zones, with a hands off management style but a hands on approach to providing cover and support
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills to achieve buy-in from key stakeholders and effective vendor management
- Experience leading, organising and successfully delivering global projects on-time, in-full and in-budget
- Skilled in identifying and delivering systems and processes that deliver robust, repeatable and scalable outcomes