This role is an opportunity for a technologist with a passion for Linux to build a career with Canonical and drive the success with those leveraging Ubuntu and open source products. If you have an affinity for open source development and a passion for technology, then you will enjoy working with some of the best people in the industry at Canonical.
The IS Foundations Team at Canonical supports and maintains all of Canonical’s production services. IS team members use real-life operational experiences to contribute to product improvements. The IS team at Canonical runs the services used by over 60 million Ubuntu users.
From Kubernetes to OpenStack and everything in-between, you’ll be working with the latest technology in a fast-paced engineering environment. As an IS Foundations Engineering Manager for the IS Foundations team, you will be responsible for managing the engineers that oversee the day-to-day operations and development of all of the services that Canonical runs. This includes customer service management, managed services operations and consistent product improvement engineering. Collaboration with internal customers, product engineering, and development groups is critical to success.
As an Engineering Manager you will:
- Manage a growing engineering team to optimise the quality and velocity of both development and operations
- Mentor engineers to improve their skills and make the team more efficient.
- Identify and measure team health indicators
- Implement disciplined engineering and operations processes
- Represent the IS Foundations team with respect to stakeholders, customers, and internal teams
- Ensure proper team focus on priorities, milestones, and deliverables
- Work to meet service level agreements with customer deployments around the globe
- Deliver quality managed services in a consistent, timely manner
The successful Engineering Manager candidate will have:
- Bachelors (or equivalent) Degree level education in a technology field.
- Proven track record of at least 5 years professional experience of either, software delivery using Python, Go, C, C++, Java, or similar and managing operations teams
- Demonstrated strong commitment to testing methodologies and maintainable code quality
- Experience with Linux system administration, Ubuntu/Debian a plus
- Experience with agile software development methodologies
- Experience working in and managing distributed teams
- Technical aptitude for understanding complex distributed systems
- Experience with cloud topologies and technologies
- Ability to travel to team & company events (Less than 10%)
Canonical is a growing, international software company that works with the open-source community to deliver Ubuntu -- the world’s #1 cloud operating system. Our mission is to realize the potential of free software in the lives of individuals and organisations. Our services are helping businesses worldwide to reduce costs, improve efficiency and enhance security with Ubuntu.
- Learning and Development
- Competitive Salary
- Recognition Rewards
- Priority Pass for travel
- Flexible working option