Software Engineer - Remote Work, Anywhere!
Do you want to be part of the team delivering the most popular operating system in the cloud? Would you like to work for the company that underpins AI/ML, robotics, edge and IoT? Come join Canonical, the company behind Ubuntu. We are a growing international software company that works with the open source community to deliver Ubuntu. Our mission is to bring the benefits of free software to the widest possible audience and we believe the best way to fuel innovation is to give innovators the technology they need.
Life at Canonical is anything but corporate. As a company that exists to support one of today’s most important open source projects, we are changing the world on a daily basis. It’s a dynamic environment in which every member of the team takes personal responsibility for everything they produce.
A Software Engineer within Canonical is key for the success of our enterprise customers, partners and Ubuntu projects. Depending upon which team you work with, you will help with core product engineering, project management, on-site delivery, cloud operations, troubleshooting, driving customer bugs to resolution, or a host of other exciting engineering functions.
Successful Software Engineers will have:
- Core Values: Curious, flexible, articulate, accountable
- Soft Skills: Passionate, enterprising, thoughtful, self-motivated
- Bachelor’s or equivalent in Computer Science, STEM or similar degree
- Ability to travel internationally for team meetings, events and conferences - travel requirements vary by team but typically run about 2-4 weeks/year except for select positions
- Depending on role and geography, you may be required to pass a background check
Broad list of technologies most used and interesting to us at Canonical (you do not need to be an expert in all of these!):
Ubuntu Linux - kernel or userspace, Kubernetes, OpenStack, Ceph, AI/ML, QEMU/KVM, LXC/LXD, Python, Go, C, Postgresql, Mongo, Debian packaging, scalable web services
**If you are skilled in or interested in learning these subject areas, please apply!
Employee Benefits Canonical Offers:
- Learning and development
- Tuition and training reimbursement
- Annual compensation & bonus review
- Annual leave
- Priority Pass and swap days for travel
- Flexible working options/work from home
- Laptop refresh every three years
Canonical believes a diverse workforce enhances our ability to deliver world class software and services which meet the world’s computing needs. We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunity to all qualified individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Many different Canonical teams are hiring, to name a few:
- Customer Field & Delivery
- Ubuntu Platform
- Ubuntu Kernel
- LXD & Containers
- Snap Store & Snapcraft
- Sustaining Engineering for Customers
- Commercial Engineering