Data Center Engineer - Boston, MA (Downtown)
Who are Canonical?
Canonical is a growing international software company that works with the open-source community to deliver Ubuntu, “the world’s best free software platform”. Our mission is to realize the potential of free software in the lives of individuals and organizations. Our services are helping individuals and businesses worldwide to reduce costs, improve efficiency and enhance security with Ubuntu.
The Canonical TechOps organization is looking for a Data Center engineer to be responsible for and manage day-to-day operations of its data center and lab in the Boston area. This includes preparing hardware to install operating systems, interacting with vendors, asset tracking and handling deliveries.
As a Data Center Engineer you will:
- Maintain the team queue in our trouble ticketing system (RT); assure tickets are properly triaged and prioritized
- Work with suppliers to generate quotes for hardware and software; enter quotes into our purchase order management system.
- Be responsible for the full hardware lifecycle from ordering to delivery, to installation, to production, and to eventual decommissioning.
- Diagnose and repair system errors, infrastructure issues and network connectivity problems
- Troubleshoot and replace failed hardware and escalate to vendors when appropriate
- Minimize downtime with effective planning and notify relevant stakeholders of scheduled maintenance periods
- Improve and extend hardware and network monitoring
- Actively maintain non-structured cabling; assure the cables are organized, neatly bundled and properly labeled
- Regularly update asset management tool to ensure accuracy and completeness
- Update of equipment firmware when appropriate/needed
- Create and improve documentation of processes and procedures
- When appropriate, standardize processes, configurations, and procedures in cooperation with engineers in our other data centers
- Background check required
The successful Data Center Engineer candidate will have:
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Computer Science or Software Engineering
- Python scripting experience
- At least 1 year of Linux Administration experience
- Mix of Rack and Virtual systems experience
- Able to communicate clearly and effectively in English over email, IRC, and in person
- Strong time management skills
- Ability to manage competing priorities
- Ability to work with a globally distributed team of passionate engineers
- Ability to lift up to 50lbs.
- Experience working for an internet service provider or large hosting provider a Plus
- CCNA preferred
What Canonical Offers:
- Learning and Development
- Career advancement into diverse roles across company
- Annual Compensation Review
- Recognition Rewards
- Paid Time Off
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, AD&D and FSA (starts Day 1)
- 401K (starts Day 1)
- 529 Savings Plan