We are looking for an expert in web delivery with an appetite for technology and innovation: you will be working on the Canonical and Ubuntu ecosystem of marketing sites that are seen by millions of visitors monthly, bringing exciting new projects to life and improving existing ones.
You will be working closely with business stakeholders, the marketing department, designers, front and back-end developers, and project management, as part of the design team, reporting to the Design Director.
What you will be doing
- You will manage incoming requests for work that affects Ubuntu and Canonical branding and the web-ecosystem such as project briefs, site-changes, takeovers and asset requests and balance and prioritise the various projects’ requirements. In your day-to-day, you are defining the scope, milestones and deliverables for any piece of work.
- You will work with designers and developers to ensure efficient and effective website updates, implemented in a timely manner and help with the testing and launch of desktop and mobile websites for all global properties.
- You are able to communicate and evaluate designs through to implementation - keeping a constant and open communication channel and ensuring products are delivered to a high standard.
- You will liaise with relevant stakeholders and engineers to achieve company goals, making time to talk via messaging applications, setting up and attending regular meetings, reviewing work with them in advance, sharing progress and seeking their input to achieve consensus and drive progress.
- You work closely with the Marketing department to understand requirements for upcoming project and plan projects ahead of schedule.
- We try as much as we can to share our experiences and knowledge within the team and to the community through informal presentations, the design blog and external events.
- You will assist with web production process definition, optimization and implementation
Upcoming projects include
- Liaise with stakeholders to arrange required updates on ubuntu.com and documentation in time for the release of the newest version of Ubuntu.
- Designing and implementing across the Canonical ecosystem of products a new global navigation with simplified login journeys.
- Collaborate with the brand team to drive the design and implementation of new brand assets for web such as illustrations, graphics, iconography, photography etc.
Skills we are looking for
- Ability to maintain a good view across a number of projects, and to be a go-to person for the design team as a whole and work with leads and management to align overall departmental processes
- Ability to develop the process/approach for tackling a design problem and to lead the exploration and design solutions of undefined problem spaces
- Ability to set up, attend and run weekly catch-ups with engineers and stakeholders you are collaborating with
- Ability to articulate clearly and effectively your design decisions to team members, engineers and stakeholders
- Motivation to drive understanding of impact and success metrics to focus your efforts. Develop a good working knowledge of KPI’s and Google Analytics - goal setting and tracking, A/B testing etc.
- Proficiency in design and prototyping tools and a basic understanding of HTML and CSS
What we offer
- Opportunity to help shape a company and a product with strong influence in the open source community
- A fantastic work environment within a team of friendly people with a broad range of skill sets, from UX and visual designers to engineers
- Opportunity to create work that will be seen by millions of people
- A great location, right next to Tate Modern in Southbank, within walking distance to London Bridge, Waterloo, Borough Market and Southbank Centre
- Benefits package, including cycle to work scheme, pension scheme, childcare vouchers and health insurance