Technical Communications Specialist -
Canonical is the company behind Ubuntu, the leading operating system for container, cloud, and hyperscale computing. The majority of public cloud workloads and large-scale private cloud deployments are on Ubuntu. Ubuntu is also the preferred choice to develop and run applications such as AI or blockchain and leading in IoT with new smart gateways, self-driving cars and advanced robots being developed. Canonical provides enterprise products, support and services for Ubuntu. Established in 2004, Canonical is a privately held company.
Canonical is looking for a Technical Communications Specialist to help drive the global media, analyst and social media programme. Reporting to the Communications Director, this new London based role has been created to be an advocate of our products and create compelling stories to a tech-savvy audience. The role will collaborate with product management, engineering, marketing and sales teams to drive integrated campaigns and ensure earned media coverage through PR and analyst relations targeted at enterprises, developers and end-users.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for and strong understanding of the technology trends in cloud infrastructure, IoT and SaaS.
Good travel opportunities, predominantly to the US and Europe. Plus great benefits on offer.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities
- Working with external agencies in the UK, US, Germany and Japan to deliver the PR and AR plans.
- Day to day coordination and management of the press office and agencies.
- Creation and supporting of content development including press releases, features, bylined articles, internal messaging, developer interviews and blogs.
- Management, scheduling and reporting of Canonical’s social media channels including LinkedIn, Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
- Media and analyst event support and attendance, where necessary.
- Close coordination with marketing colleagues to maximise content including whitepapers, case studies and webinars across all channels.
- Identifying relevant influencers and devising plans on how to effectively engage with them.
- Liaison with external partners and customers to jointly leverage marketing and PR activity.
- Production and distribution management of quarterly analyst newsletter.
- Maintenance of the company press centre.
- Reporting on all communications activities as per business requirements and integrating with existing marketing analytics.
Required skills and experience
- Relevant degree essential with a strong academic background.
- 1-2+ years experience in a technical content/communications role or PR, social media role at an agency or in house.
- Experience in, or a good understanding of the B2B software industry with a strong passion for technology, especially cloud and the internet of things.
- Excellent writing skills and ability to position technical content to a range of audiences.
- Ability to influence and engage with a range of stakeholders from senior management to software engineers.
- Good understanding of how to leverage communications work through wider marketing channels.
- Excellent organisational skills.