Software Engineer, Ceph Storage
What is Canonical?
Canonical is a growing international software company that works with the open-source community to deliver Ubuntu, “the world’s best free software platform”. Our mission is to realise the potential of free software in the lives of individuals and organisations. Our services are helping individuals and businesses worldwide to reduce costs, improve efficiency and enhance security with Ubuntu.
A Software Engineer, Ceph Storage in the Sustaining Engineering Group is key for the success of our enterprise customers, partners and Ubuntu projects.
You will help with troubleshooting and driving customer bugs to resolution by providing workarounds, guidance and designing fixes to be released in Ubuntu and its supporting software packages.
Your role will primarily provide sustaining engineering support for storage products as well as integration and orchestration for Cloud and the Ubuntu platform.
As a Software Engineer, Ceph Storage you will:
- Resolve complex customer problems related to distributed storage as well as general OpenStack or Ubuntu Server issues
- Maintain a close working relationship with Canonical's support teams, account managers and Ubuntu Platform Engineering
- Analyse and participate on upstream development against current customer reported defects, backport patches, develop patches and work with upstream for inclusion
- Demonstrate considerable judgement in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions
- Manage workload to ensure that all customer issues are all timely handled and driven to resolution, acting as a generalist when necessary
- Participate in team discussions to improve process, tools, and documentation within the Sustaining Engineering team
- Maintain clear, technical and concise bug documentation
- Be able to travel internationally up to 10% of work time for team meetings, events and conferences
The successful Software Engineer, Ceph Storage will have:
- A minimum of 5+ years or equivalent experience as software engineer is required
- Bachelor’s or equivalent in Computer Science, STEM or similar degree is preferred
- Strong experience with Ceph object storage and architecture
- Experience with OpenStack and/or other Cloud technologies
- Strong development level experience with C, C++ and Python. Able to troubleshoot with gdb, crash. Able to provide patches and maintain team or personal branches in git
- Prefer upstream involvement in Open Source projects (patches submitted for inclusion)
What Canonical Offers:
- Learning and Development
- Annual Compensation Review
- Recognition Rewards
- Annual Leave
- Priority Pass for travel
- Flexible working option