WHAT YOU WILL DO:
Contribute to the success of the firm as a whole focusing on discipline design, technical and quality practices, the optimization of resources and staff growth and development.
Areas of Focus
- Discipline and Practice Leadership: Focuses on the benefits and value of integrated design, reinforces cross collaboration of disciplines, discusses and generates new ideas and innovative approaches that differentiate CannonDesign and help solve our client’s greatest challenges.
- The first and primary goal of this position is to work with current firm and office leadership to establish an engineering group for mechanical, electrical, plumbing, fire protection, and technology engineering. The goals would be to establish a team of 10-15 engineers within a 12-month period. Other disciplines and further growth will be evaluated as the group develops. The initial plan will be to perform engineering work in North America while working with local office leadership to support work within India.
- The visibility, profile and reputation of the firm, its leaders and all CannonDesign employees are of the utmost importance. The individual taking on this position shall be a strong voice for the Engineering practice and promote the firm and our work. Office Engineering Leaders shall anticipate writing one externally published article and speaking at one event per year at a minimum. OEL’s shall actively participate in at least one professional society related to their field.
- Implementation of Business Plan: Responsible for the development and implementation of the firm wide engineering business plan within the context of their Office(s), including key strategies developed by and with the National Directors and Office Leadership. Responsible to engage office and market leaders to participate in the process, take ownership, communicate and champion the initiatives set forth.
- Monitoring of office financial health: Works in partnership with the Office Practice Leader(s), Business Practice Leader(s), and Director(s) of Engineering to monitor the rolling budget forecast and properly allocate revenue to each discipline within the office(s) of responsibility.
- Drives collaboration and integration to obtain successful results including the quality of the design work, process improvement, innovation and profit goals. Facilitates and maintains a regular rhythm of proactive internal communication amongst the disciplines within your office.
- Ensures adherence to firmwide discipline design standards set forth by the firm discipline leaders and promotes continuous improvement toward industry best practices.
- Sets, implements, and monitors achievement of technical and quality-related practice goals.
- Assigns Project Engineering Leaders (PELs) to projects in their office, and holds the PEL accountable for project staffing, engineering team financial health, and adherence to the Engineering Quality Process.
- Leads resolution of issues involving team performance, design matters, etc. recommending solutions and engaging in conflict resolution. Coordinates with other senior leaders as required.
- The expectation is that 70% of time will be spent on billable, client-facing, project work. The remaining 30% will be spent on business development and other tasks associated with forwarding our practice.
- Demonstrates success at negotiating and securing new assignments on major projects.
- Understands client developmental needs; establishes and maintains professional relationships with clients; orchestrates changes in response to changes in clients’ stated needs.
- Top Line Growth: Partners with other Engineering Leaders, Market Leaders and other office and firm-wide resources to focus on supporting the top line of the office(s) and the firm. Secure new internal client relationships and expand existing ones by championing strategic internal client development and market differentiation.
- Staff Management and Development: Lead by example. Mentoring and growing emerging professionals is an important responsibility for all leaders at CannonDesign. Assist in establishing an environment that exemplifies leadership, integrity, humility, respect and responsibility, along with collaboration, experimentation, innovation, quality, creativity, and entrepreneurship. Be a strong proponent of interdisciplinary design integration.
- Work with other Office Engineering Leaders, Firm Discipline Leaders, and Office Discipline Leaders relative to staffing (SFMO), skills assessment, recruitment and professional development to help develop high performance teams. Staffing efforts must be a collaboration between OELs and FDLs.
ABOUT YOUR QUALIFICATIONS:
- Qualified candidates must have a Bachelor degree in a related field of Engineering.
- Minimum 15 years of relevant experience.
- Applicable Professional Accreditation.
- Broad knowledge of engineering building systems and integrated/sustainable design.
- Outstanding organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Willingness to travel and work overtime.
ABOUT WORKING HERE
- We are relentless in our pursuit of client adoration (not simply satisfaction). Consistent delivery of the best service is what we are about.
- We are committed to ensuring our practice is equitable for all employees, representative of the communities around us – and focused on the future of design. We advocate for equity, diversity, and inclusion efforts through the leadership of our DEI Council, Employee Resource Groups and other community advocacy initiatives.
- We’re about communication and transparency here. If you want to talk to someone about an idea you have, or a challenge that needs addressing, we’re ready for you.