CannonDesign has an exciting opportunity for a Project Architect (S&T and Education) based in our Houston office. If your skills and experience make you a good match for this position, we would love to hear from you. We are looking for creative, curious, rigorous, and empathetic people to join our Living-Centered Design movement.
ABOUT OUR FIRM
CannonDesign is an integrated design solutions firm focused on helping people continuously flourish. Whether designing for innovations in health, new scientific discoveries, equity in education or the next big idea in business, we use our Living-Centered Design approach to help organizations realize purposeful change. Our ability to design transformational places, plans and strategies is why Fast Company named us a World Changing Company and one of the most innovative design firms in the world.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The successful candidate will perform in a Project Architect role and will be responsible for leading the development of all technical aspects and content of projects, coordinating work with all disciplines to ensure an integrated set of deliverables, and verifying compliance through team collaboration.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Lead the project team through all design phases from Conceptual Design through Construction Administration.
- Responsible for ensuring that local and national code and Authorities Having Jurisdiction requirements and project design concepts are achieved.
- Possessing a comprehensive knowledge of teaching and wet lab materials, systems, and planning best-practices is required.
- Possessing a comprehensive knowledge of learning environment materials, systems, and planning best-practices is preferred.
- Ensure all design deliverables meet internal and external project requirements and are delivered on time, budget, and within scope.
- Continuously checks on project documentation and compliance with client requirements as outlined in contract.
- Proactively identifies, communicates, mitigates, and resolves project-related issues.
- Communicate client objectives to team members in a clear and compelling way.
- Comprehension of and compliance with QA/QC standards.
- Be technically strong in architectural systems design, documentation, coordination, and detailing.
- Provide leadership of team activities.
- Engage with the Texas Quality and Design Leaders.
- Technical coordination of architectural and engineering systems with engineers and consultants.
- Maintain communications with the Owner and Consultants on project status, design intent, concerns, and questions.
- Communicate with other disciplines to ensure coordination of project documents.
- Take a leadership role in team meetings.
- Implement CannonDesign drawing standards.
- Participate in marketing pursuits assisting in the development of marketing proposals and participating in interview teams as requested by leadership.
- Act as a mentor to staff.
- Be available to travel on a per project basis up to 50% of the work week if required.
- May perform other duties as required.
ABOUT YOUR QUALIFICATIONS
- Qualified candidates are required to have a Bachelor of Architecture from an accredited program. Master of Architecture from an accredited program is preferred.
- Must be a registered Architect in a state of the USA and NCARB accredited.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience working on mid to large-scale projects ($25,000,000 – $130,000,000) is required.
- Experience working on S&T & Hire Ed projects is referred.
- Strong presentation, client engagement, team building, organizational and communication skills are essential.
- Proficiency in REVIT, Sketch up, Rhino, InDesign, Photoshop, Bluebeam Studio, and other graphics/design applications a plus.
ABOUT WORKING HERE
- We are relentless in our pursuit of client relationships and being a trusted advisor (not simply satisfaction). Consistent delivery of the best service is what we are about.
- We are committed to ensuring our practice is equitable for all employees, representative of the communities around us – and focused on the future of design. We advocate for equity, diversity, and inclusion efforts through the leadership of our DEI Council, Employee Resource Groups, and other community advocacy initiatives.
- We are about communication and transparency here. If you want to talk to someone about an idea you have, or a challenge that needs addressing, we are ready for you.
- We believe our work and workplace should be both fun and rewarding. We are looking for teammates that will contribute to a positive, supportive, and team-first work environment.
- The Houston office culture supports work life balance and is open to discussing a flexible work environment.