CannonDesign has an exciting opportunity for an experienced Interior Designer/Architect in the Commercial practice of our Chicago office Take a look at the description below. If you think your skills and experience make you a good match for this position, we’d love to hear from you. We’re looking for creative, curious, empathetic people to join our Living-Centered Design movement.
ABOUT OUR FIRM
CannonDesign is an integrated design solutions firm focused on helping people continuously flourish. Whether designing for innovations in health, new scientific discoveries, equity in education or the next big idea in business, we use our Living-Centered Design approach to help organizations realize widespread change. Our ability to design transformational places, plans and strategies is why Fast Company named us a World Changing Company and one of the most innovative design firms in the world.
ABOUT THE ROLE
In your role, you will be a part of our Commercial practice and will advance the development of design solutions as part of a collaborative team working on award-winning projects.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Evaluate client needs, analyze and effectively document design objectives and spatial requirements including programming, space planning and facilities planning.
- Conceptual development of interior spaces addressing planning, three-dimensional conceptual development, interior elevations, details, ceilings/lighting, and finishes.
- Develop all aspects of furniture packages and specifications Evaluate and select materials, develop finish palettes, consult with vendors, and inform project specifications.
- Conduct research as directed for product and finish selections; assist in the development of finish plans and specifications.
- Provide assistance to the team in the selection or consideration and choice of building materials such as flooring, wall finish, ceilings, furnishings and other interior materials
- Produce high quality drawings in conformance with project time, budget, and quality parameters.
- Familiarity with building and life safety codes and their correct application to Interior Design work
- Prepare renderings and other presentation materials.
- Attend client meetings with Senior Interior Designer(s) to gain client interaction experience and experience in client presentation skills.
- Prepare and contribute to design and presentation efforts utilizing Illustrator, Photoshop, Sketch-Up, and other programs as required.
- Communicate with other disciplines to ensure coordination of project documents.
- Assist in coordination of engineering systems with engineers.
- Review shop drawing submittals with some guidance from the Project Architect.
- May attend field site inspections, which frequently involves a physical walk-through of the site.
- May perform other duties as required.
ABOUT YOUR QUALIFICATIONS
- Qualified candidates must have a Bachelor’s in Architecture, Interior Architecture or Interior Design. Master’s degree strongly preferred.
- Minimum 4 years or more of Commercial architectural and/or interior experience. Experience with hospitality projects preferred.
- Licensure accreditation is preferred.
- Strong technical skills, knowledge of building and life safety codes is required.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills and interest to build and maintain client relationships are essential.
- Creative and compelling graphic communication skills from conceptual diagrams, well composed design presentations to impactful 3D renderings are imperative.
- High level of graphic proficiency required.
- Proficiency in Revit/Enscape, Microsoft Office, and Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign) required. Enhanced rendering capabilities with VRay beneficial.
ABOUT WORKING HERE
- We are relentless in our pursuit of client adoration (not simply satisfaction). Consistent delivery of the best service is what we are about.
- We are committed to ensuring our practice is equitable for all employees, representative of the communities around us – and focused on the future of design. We advocate for equity, diversity, and inclusion efforts through the leadership of our DEI Council, Employee Resource Groups and other community advocacy initiatives.
- We’re about communication and transparency here. If you want to talk to someone about an idea you have, or a challenge that needs addressing, we’re ready for you.
For a general overview of our benefits, please visit our careers page at www.cannondesign.com/careers/
Please note that candidates can only apply to our positions on our company Careers site. It's not uncommon for scammers to create positions that look legitimate on other sites; never enter your information or apply for CannonDesign positions on any platform. Should an issue arise that you feel we should be aware of, please contact us. Please provide your resume and portfolio when applying.
As a condition of employment, all employees are expected to complete mandatory training, including compliance training, within required timeframes and adhere to our internal policies and our Code of Conduct.
CannonDesign recognizes the value of diversity in our workforce. We are committed to equal opportunity. We consider all qualified employment applicants without regard to race, religion, color, gender, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, partnership status, protected veteran status, disability, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. Individuals who hold legal work authorization applicable to employment at CannonDesign in the United States will be considered without regard to citizenship/alienage.