CannonDesign has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Structural Engineering Leader based in our St. Louis office. Take a look at the description below. If you think your skills and experience make you a good match for this position, we’d love to hear from you. We’re looking for creative, curious, empathetic people to join our Living-Centered Design movement.
ABOUT OUR FIRM
CannonDesign is an integrated design solutions firm focused on helping people continuously flourish. Whether designing for innovations in health, new scientific discoveries, equity in education or the next big idea in business, we use our Living-Centered Design approach to help organizations realize widespread change. Our ability to design transformational places, plans and strategies is why Fast Company named us a World Changing Company and one of the most innovative design firms in the world.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The successful candidate will be responsible for leading the Structural Engineering practice in our St. Louis office and will contribute to our goal of being one of the most innovative, creative and highly regarded design firms in the world.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Work with Engineering Leaders and other firm leaders to develop, support and implement key initiatives that advance an innovative engineering practice in line with the firm’s strategic plan.
- Assume a Project Management role on large-scale structural engineering projects associated with design, layout, and construction of large institutional, and industrial buildings.
- Work closely with the firm’s structural engineering group in defining quality engineering services.
- Act as a senior technical resource to the structural team to mentor and guide their professional growth.
- Participate in the development of project goals.
- Be responsible for analysis and design of structural systems/components in steel, concrete and masonry.
- Collaborate with design teams to conceptualize and execute the design of engineering systems, controlling project budgets and staffing etc.
- Ensure that structural systems are planned in accordance with applicable building codes and constructed in accordance with contract plans and specifications.
- Assume a lead project engineering role on large-scale projects.
- Perform complex design calculations.
- Communicate effectively with construction, designers, architects, engineers, owners at all levels and across all organizational lines
- Participate in negotiating the contract for structural services with the contracting officer.
- Work with architectural staff developing exterior wall details, complex design calculations, custom detailing.
- Prepare construction drawings and identify structural code requirements.
- Drive collaboration and integration to obtain successful results, including the quality of the design work, process improvement, innovation and profit goals. Facilitate and maintain a regular rhythm of proactive internal communication.
- Coordinate with other discipline Quality Leaders, ensuring quality deliverables and high-performance work, promote a culture of continuous quality improvement, and assist in implementation of quality initiatives.
- Implement our process methods related to Digital, Quality and Sustainability practice integration, etc. Work with firm Discipline and Quality Leaders to achieve productivity improvements and ensure best practices are being followed to ensure successful outcomes.
- Be a strong voice for the Engineering practice. Promote the firm and our work. Office discipline leaders shall anticipate writing one article or speaking at one conference per year at a minimum.
- Support resolution of potential issues involving clients, team performance, design matters, etc. recommending solutions and engaging in conflict resolution. Coordinate with other leaders as required.
- Serve as a Project Engineering Leader (PEL) on projects and as a subject matter expert to win work and assist other teams in winning work.
- Engage in business development efforts supporting the Office Engineering Leader to expand our prime engineering practice in addition to growing our traditional integrated A/E practice.
- Grow and nurture client relationships.
- Participate in marketing campaigns promoting the structural discipline, including giving presentations internally and externally.
- Assist in establishing an environment that exemplifies leadership, integrity, humility, respect and responsibility, along with collaboration, experimentation, innovation, quality, creativity and entrepreneurship. Be a strong proponent of interdisciplinary design integration.
- In collaboration with the current structural team, serve as a manager and resource to staff within the structural discipline on a day-to-day basis. Communicate practice and discipline goals to his/her group and implements plans to meet these goals. Oversee office discipline staffing and project status.
- Work with Firm Discipline Leaders and others relative to staffing (SFMO), skills assessment, recruitment and professional development to help develop high performance teams.
ABOUT YOUR QUALIFICATIONS
- Minimum 15 years of relevant experience with concrete and steel required; experience with masonry and wood preferred.
- PE license required; SE license in Illinois preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering, Structural Engineering or Architectural Engineering with Structural focus. Master of Science degree in Structural Engineering or Architectural Engineering with Structural focus preferred.
- LEED Certification preferred.
- Strong understanding of BIM capabilities.
- Working knowledge of structural engineering software (RAM, RISA), IBC and other national standard codes.
- The ability to handle large and multiple projects is essential.
- Strong interest in collaboration with and enhancing architectural design is essential.
- Ability to drive solid process improvement and business results.
- Strong ability to lead, influence, mentor, and demonstrate good judgment.
ABOUT WORKING HERE
- We are relentless in our pursuit of client adoration (not simply satisfaction). Consistent delivery of the best service is what we are about
- We know you have a life outside of the office. That’s why we offer the convenience of flexible scheduling, including the ability to work remotely on occasion
- We are committed to ensuring our practice is equitable for all employees, representative of the communities around us – and focused on the future of design We advocate for equity, diversity and inclusion efforts through the leadership of our Diversity + Inclusion Council, Women’s Forum, and other community advocacy initiatives
- We’re about communication and transparency here. If you want to talk to someone about an idea you have, or a challenge that needs addressing, we’re ready for you.
- The NEXT Council is a group of dynamic, multi-faceted employees that collaborates closely with firm leadership. Together, council members act as a catalyst for our practice’s evolution – a think tank for innovation, improvement and growth.
Please note that candidates can only apply to our positions on our company Careers site. It's not uncommon for scammers to create positions that look legitimate on other sites; never enter your information or apply for CannonDesign positions on any platform. Should an issue arise that you feel we should be aware of, please contact us. Please provide your resume and portfolio when applying.
As a condition of employment, all employees are expected to complete mandatory training, including compliance training, within required timeframes and adhere to our internal policies and our Code of Conduct.
CannonDesign recognizes the value of diversity in our workforce. We are committed to equal opportunity. We consider all qualified employment applicants without regard to race, religion, color, gender, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, partnership status, protected veteran status, disability, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. Individuals who hold legal work authorization applicable to employment at CannonDesign in the United States will be considered without regard to citizenship/alienage.